Trying to Recover Disk Space

apu95

Caffeine-->Code Converter
I'm trying to clean up some space on my hard drive (particularly my C partition), and I've found some really weird things. My Documents and Settings folder is 9 gigs, and I don't store anything on my Desktop. Upon further inspection, I tracked down the "biggest" folder in that particular hierarchy.
In the
"C:\Documents and Settings\Apu\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft"
folder, there's a folder called "Messenger" (I'm using the latest WLM8 Beta btw). Now, when I look at the properties, it shows really weird info.
"Size: 8.02 GB (8,612,762,984 bytes)
Size on Disk: 26.0 MB (27,324,416 bytes)
Contains: 1,627 files, 11 folders"

The sheer difference in size started an alarm in my head. Then when I actually go in the folder, there's 1 other folder (named with my email address), and a "activesharingfolder.dat" file.
In the folder of my email, there's two other folders, "Contacts", which has two files in it, for a total of 4 megs, and a "Sharing Folders" folder which is empty.

I'm not sure what to do now. Can anyone recommend anything I can do to clear up some of the stuff in the Documents and Settings folder, as well as that weird anomaly?

Thanks,
Apu

Spacemonger Update: I looked at the hard drive using Spacemonger, and turns out there's hidden stuff in that folder which isn't even listed, even though I have showing hidden files enabled. The folder is called Shared Metadata. In this folder there is another folder called Working, and in this folder is the culprit. There's a file called SimilarityTable_2 which is 8 gigs. What the hell? :S

Last edited:
chkdsk /f c: in the run box. Tye y when itasks to check on boot and reboot, check the folder again and let us know the results. Just to rule out one of the obvious options first.

Did it, nothing has changed...Thanks for the suggestion though :)
I found out what it is though -_-, apparently lots of WLM users have had it. Google "sparse files" (no quotes of course) to find out why :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back