Trying to install SP2 RC2

theophilus

OSNN Junior Addict
I'm trying to install SP2 RC2 for Windows XP, and I keep getting an error message that I can't figure out.

It starts installing, and gets to the point where it says it is "Inspecting your current configurations." Then it will pop up and say,

"The file c:\windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sysis open or in use by another application. Close all other applications then click Retry."

I close every application open that I can (even unhooking my modem and turning off my firewall and antivirus), and it still pops up when I click retry. I've installed this same file before on three of my other computers, and once before on this one before I formatted it.

weird, tried going into safe mode and renaming it?
sounds risky, but you never know

Myself, when ever I reinstall patches or in your case trying to install a service pack, I always, click start, in run msconfig, disable all startup apps, in processes disable all then add windows installer and cryptographic services for next startup, save close reboot and then install patches and service packs.

Try it, btw windows will always force others it needs to run, so should be o.k.

I went to msconfig and unmarked everything like you said in services and startup. Still have the same problem. I can't figure out what the deal is.

Is your hard drive larger than 137Gb? If it is the system file [atapi.sys] which I suspect was merged with the word “is” might have been corrupted or is out of date. Dodgy memory can also cause this problem. Try running the system file checker.

:) :)

I'll throw my two cents in:

Do you have a hard drive larger than 137GB? If so, they you would've needed an an updated atapi.sys that supports 48bit addressing.

How I'd try to work around this: If the >137GB drive is not the primary drive, remove it. Then extract atapi.sys from your XP cd and, in safe mode, copy it over to the OS. If your large drive is primary, try partitioning it and doing the same.

Or: wait for SP2 to go final.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back