Try to open AVI file

Eagle710

OSNN Senior Addict
My friend gave some episodes of a TV show they are all avi files about 350 MBs. But when i try and load them into Windows Media Player or Winamp or PowerDVD it crashes like totally it gives me a windows explorer error. And wont load the movie. Any ideas... even when i right click it does that. Not all do them too i got a few music videos a friend gave me and they are fine. Thanks

You might need the divx codec to play them. Also might need to update your codec's. My last idea is download and install XP Codec pack

try this better.... get gspot, find out which codecs ur missing and install them :)

yeah.. mediainfo also works...

btw... i recommended a prog like that cos installing codec packs its not that good... they come with a lot of crap, and diff versions of same codecs... and all that can cause some problems (plus its unnecessary so..)

they come with a lot of crap
Not this one.

and diff versions of same codecs.
Different versions of what? Codec packs (especially this one) come with one main library (libavcdecoder in this case) that can decode about 50 different video streams, its just that there need to be different splitters/demuxers to be able to read those video streams. Splitters/demuxers are to read the streams where as libavcdecoder, libtheora, libmpeg2, etc are to parse the split/demuxed streams.

and all that can cause some problems
These codec packs are designed to eliminate problems that come with installing DivX, XviD, and all the other codecs when libavcdecoder can decode them all.

(plus its unnecessary so..)
When you're really into watching videos, you'll notice that its quite the opposite of unnecessary. Many people use different codecs such as DivX, XviD, VC-1, x264, H.264/MPEG-4, so if you're an movie buff or you like to download tons of media, these codec packs are very useful.
Plus, K-Lite comes with ffdshow, which is probably one of the best DirectShow filters that comes with tons of options such as subtitle loading, post-processing, filtering, transcoding, debanding, etc.

Please try to back up your reasons next time.

just download vlc player, it plays pretty much anything.

well.. first... lancer's advice is algo very good... vlc is pretty good at playing anythin u throw at it

and 2nd... ok... i didnt know about that one... but i still think its best to have the lastest divx, xvid and ac3 filter, etc...
plus u dont need to decode 300 different types (ok, at least me and everyone i know dont, cant say for everyone...), for most ppl with those codecs and maybe coreavc or some mpg2 is enough

well.. first... lancer's advice is algo very good... vlc is pretty good at playing anythin u throw at it
VLC uses libavcdecoder, same one as in K-Lite (if you use ffdshow).

and 2nd... ok... i didnt know about that one... but i still think its best to have the lastest divx, xvid and ac3 filter, etc...
Why install 10 different codecs when 1 can do it for you? You don't have to check every single option when installing K-Lite. Just choose what you want to be able to play.
plus u dont need to decode 300 different types (ok, at least me and everyone i know dont, cant say for everyone...), for most ppl with those codecs and maybe coreavc or some mpg2 is enough
I do agree with you there, however, for those that do need to decode the many different types, CoreAVC and any MPEG-2 decoder won't be enough.

Ohhh.... i will try using mediainfo... once i find out which codecs i need i half to download and install them into my system???? And then it shouldn't do that any more?
Right. However, as I suggested, try K-Lite. Uninstall all the codecs you have and install K-Lite. Should solve any problems you have, and instead of having 30 different installations for various codecs, you have them all in one package.

Last edited:
you guys....

talk about going round in circles. just download vlc and watch the movie... no need for multiple codecs, installing this, uninstalling that.... way too much work if you ask me.

I make movies for a living and this is just ott advice.

XP Codec pack, or vista codec pack if you have vista, is pretty much all you need ... You could also just install an xvid codec and see if that works.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back