Triplicate messages in Outlook Express

jcgps

OSNN Newbie
Have an interesting problem.

When I open Outlook Express, it downloads email from the Comcast server into my primary identity, then into the second identity. After that, the messages for the primary identity load into the primary's inbox two more times, so I end up with three copies of each message. This only happens with the inbox for the primary.

I have tried to de-select the "send and receive messages at startup" option, but, at some point, I have to get new messages. Whenever I finally opt to receive new messages, it still generates three copies in the primary inbox. I have selected the option "Include this account when receiving and synchronizing" for both identities. I have also selected the option to save a copy of each message on the server for both identities. Messages are saved on the server for the secondary account, but none are saved for the primary.

All options selected are the same for each identity. I have tried to change the initial sign on identity from the primary to the secondary, but the primary still gets three copies of each message.

Anyone have any good ideas on fixing this?

Thanks,

JC

never save messages on the server? Or is that something you have a reason to do?

I like to keep copies on the server because I have had problems before with my hard drive and lost messages from it.

OK - another way - do not keep messages on that server - but set it up to forward to a gmail account (which you can return to if you need to, in such a scenario)...

then you do not need to keep copies on server.... make sense? Work for you?

Have been offline for a while. Sorry for the late reply.

I don't know what "gmail" is. Is it simply another email account on another email program?

I can do that to avoid the problem of losing messages, but I still have no idea why I am getting messages downloaded into OE three times each. It's really amazing.

Thanks,

JC

Do you have any kind of rules setup?

Check and see. I have several mailboxes that I have access to here at work and depending on the rules, I have other personal folders the emails flow into (depending whom from, keywords, etc). I don't know if you might have some kind of rules setup, either personally by you or something OE might have automatically established for you.

:eek: another email account :eek:

The fact I have had to answer that question makes me wonder if I can locate the tripling of your messages - but also means I find it far from amazing. It will be something very very simple I now believe. I shall not say PLBKAC, but it is not far away, please do look into your forwarding options, particularly where you are keeping mail on the server. This sort of outcome is commonplace and usually easily resolved....

Hi all.

Have you tried using Mail washer pro ? It allows you to see all incoming messages from your ISP's server before you download them to your machine. It also allows you to delete, bounce and block spam etc .... It may not solve your triplicate problem but better one message in triplicate than 15, lol.

jcgps said:
Have been offline for a while. Sorry for the late reply.

I don't know what "gmail" is. Is it simply another email account on another email program?

Yes, it is another email account, which provides about 2,000 MB of storage space for your email. Beings you don't know what it is, I take it you don't have one. If you want a gmail invite, send my a PM, and I'll give you an invite... Whatever you do, do not give out your email address in public forums, as web crawlers and the like could scavenge it, to put your addy on spam lists :eek:

I would need an email address via the PM, to know where to send the invite to... I'll get to it when I can get logged in and all...

I can do that to avoid the problem of losing messages, but I still have no idea why I am getting messages downloaded into OE three times each. It's really amazing.

I wonder, if you already have some mail forwarding going on, which is somehow getting bounced back to your first email addy? Wouldn't know for sure, without seeing what's occuring wrt your account/OE...

I've "occassionally" gotten a message in duplicate, when there was either an issue at the server, or the sender ran into a situation in which it looked like they hadn't sent the email, so tried again (due to some server glitch at their end). As, in some of those cases, the email got CCed back to them, there was a third reply applogizing for the duplicate send. Has seldom/next to never occured from my experience, so not sure what you are seeing.

If you need to keep the messages on the server, have you thought of setting your Outlook Express up, to use IMAP rather then POP3? That might help elliminate the problem, assuming Comcast will let you use IMAP. There should be instructions online, or Comcast might be able to walk you through the IMAP settings, for getting into their servers... Some things are generic (such as whether to leave messages on the server, etc), but some could be specific, such as whether email encryption/security is used for connection, and if so, what...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back