Triple monitor setup possible?

P

Polypeptide

Okay guys, I'm interested in setting up a triple monitor setup for some graphics and stock trading applications. However, I'm not interested in buying a matrox parahelia. I want a cheap card that can do it. Is it possible to buy the dvi to 2vga cable/adapter that comes on the parahelia? Right now, I'm looking a Geforce mx 460 with dvi and vga (tv out too, but i won't be using it). Would it be possible to make this a triplehead monitor card with the kind of cable mentioned above, or will I have to buy 2 cards or one special card? Thanks in advance for you help.

Havnt Heard of anything like that Except on Matrox Cards Really, u cud get a cheap Pci Card and put a monitor into that i tried Spliting the signal into 2 from VGA on mine an sumtimes works but usully doesnt lol

u could with 2 cards and a 3rd party monitor manger proggie

thats what I was gonna say. after playing around with Ultramon and dual monitor setups, it looks like you could set up a quite a few monitors to one pc. 1 dual card (vga,dvi) and another regular pci card. Hook all three up, load up ultramon and designate your primary and it should actually be pretty simple.

it works.. I use ultra mon for tri head... :)

not so much fun with a pos 15incher :) but still...

I leave it @ dual since its better for me that way...

In my old job, we had 6 monitors running from one machine (albeit with 2x quad head cards) - but as long as you have the pci space, you can add numerous cards to the system.

I run 3 monitors on my PC at home. One on my TI4200 and then 2 crappy PCI cards, I think one's a Matrox and the other is an ATI. You don't need any managment software to do that, it's supported by Windows. You just have to be careful, there are some cards that do NOT work in multi-monitor setups. S3 cards DO NOT support multi-monitor without being set as the primary, which since they all suck, you wouldn't want to do that. I hate comming to work where I only have one monitor, 3 is much more productive. Good Luck!

i can run 3 monitors with my one video card, vga, vdi, svideo, then i turn on my readon card nad there are now 6. it is all possable with the new cards but if u want to go teh cheat way go out any buy a few ati rage cards for pci and they work the best for that i found, that is if u have the pci to spare.

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
I run 3 monitors on my PC at home. One on my TI4200 and then 2 crappy PCI cards
in this case, when you start up a game, it just displays on your primary, right?

Yes... because a game HAS to support multi monitors to use multi-monitors....

understood.

would i be able to have the desktop displayed on the other one or two monitors? for temp monitoring, network status, messaging programs, etc.

I'm using a Matrox G450 dual head (it's damn cheap now-used) and a PCI card and using UltraMon as a third party software even though you don't really need it..works fine..no complian so far...;)

I just saw a GF4MX with dual outputs for $50...I may go from two to three :D. I never thought of it before this thread.

Originally posted by taurus
understood.

would i be able to have the desktop displayed on the other one or two monitors? for temp monitoring, network status, messaging programs, etc.

you should be able to use ultramon to display separate desktops or stretched desktop per your needs... and therefore you can have one screen for monitoring and one for working on.. I do it all the time...

-edit- and yes I have done this on tri-head display as well :D

There is no need for any of that software to display your desktop on multiple monitors. Windows XP supports all of that.

Originally posted by Sazar
you should be able to use ultramon to display separate desktops or stretched desktop per your needs... and therefore you can have one screen for monitoring and one for working on.. I do it all the time...

-edit- and yes I have done this on tri-head display as well :D
i meant while the primary is running a game. will the others still show the desktop or go black?

Thanks a bunch guys!!! Great forum, great support! I'm using a combo of a gfmx460 and a shat pci dual head ati thing that's for office use. Ultramon works, as does winxp native support. Thanks a bunch again!

Ultramon is a nice little program....if you run dual monitors without it...you still get the 2 desktops...but on the secondary monitor you wont have a taskbar and things like that...UltraMon gives you that functionality as well as being able to run seperate wallpaper and screen savers on each monitor. As far as game playing...the game will appear on the primary monitor and the secondary will still display the desktop.

AGP Card = VGA + DVI (convert the DVI to an VGA)
PCI Card = VGA

3 montior setup :D simple as

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back