Triple Booting

scriptasylum

OSNN Senior Addict
I currently have 3 OS's on my system on one hard drive (primary master) configured as:

Win98 on C:\ 24Gig (only used for games)
WinXP on E:\ 24Gig
Mandrake Linux 8.1 on the last 12Gig

(The missing letter "D" is actually another physical harddrive used only for archival purposes)

98 was installed first, then XP, then Linux.

All is running OK, except I sorta have 2 bootloaders. One loader (LILO) chooses between Linux and Windows. If I pick Linux, it boots Linux (duh). If I pick Windows, I then get the other bootloader you normally get with XP that lets me choose between XP and 98.

This IS working but I would like to get the 3 choices on one boot loader, either in LILO or XP's loader (preferably LILO since it looks better). I don't know near enough about how bootloaders work to fix this type of thing so I thought I'd ask the gurus here. I'd rather not try random stuff and learn by trial and error. Its a pain to load 3 OS's and set them all up if I make a mistake!

Presently, I have it set up to automatically load Windows from LILO after several seconds, then once the other menu pops up, loads XP after several more seconds.

I've checked out a few sites and nothing seems to be clear enough to tell me what I need to know to do this *successfully the first time*. Aside from this little speedbump, everything works mint.

Hopefully I've provided enough detail for someone to show me the way. Thanks in advance!

ok....your problem stems from that you installed linux after XP.....since right now LILO is your default loader...it's gonna be a bit confusing..

I don't know if they simplified changing lilo, but when on the version I use you have to manually type in the physical addresses of the partition you want to load in order to boot it as a lilo option. you might be able to play around and see the format lilo has it set to now to see how to add them correctly...

Your other option is to let XP redo the bootsector using a fixboot command from the recovery console and then xp will erase lilo and take over the bootsector with it's menu..the problem is i'm not sure with your setup as to whether or not it will put linux on your menu =/

you could try using something like System Commander 7.0. That's what I'm using and it works great for me, putting all OS's up at the same time to select from.

The only problem with it is if you use GoBack or a similar recovery tool. System Commander isn't compatible with them.

I found this:

edit the lilo.conf file in the /etc folder (you need the give in more than 2 strings)

in youre lilo.conf file you will see this

______________________________----------------------------------_________________________

# LILO configuration file
# Start LILO global Section
# If you want to prevent console users to boot with init=/bin/bash,
# restrict usage of boot params by setting a passwd and using the option
# restricted.
password=xxxxxxxxxxxxxx need password
#restricted
boot=/dev/hda
default=windows change to linux
#compact # faster, but won't work on all systems.
vga=normal
read-only
prompt
timeout=10
# End LILO global Section
#

image = /boot/vmlinuz
root = /dev/hdXX
label = linux

other = /dev/hdXX
label =windows

_____________________________--------------------------------__________________________

wath you need is this

# LILO configuration file
# Start LILO global Section
# If you want to prevent console users to boot with init=/bin/bash,
# restrict usage of boot params by setting a passwd and using the option
# restricted.
password=xxxxxxxxxxxxxx need password
#restricted
boot=/dev/hda
default=windows change to linux
#compact # faster, but won't work on all systems.
vga=normal
read-only
prompt
timeout=10
# End LILO global Section
#

image = /boot/vmlinuz
root = /dev/hdXX **
label = linux

To that you'll need to add

other=/dev/dhXX **
label=win98 for windows 98

and for xp:

other=/dev/hdXX **
label=WinXP for windows XP

** if XX stands for the partition on your HD (first partition on first HD is hda1 and seconde partition on first HD is hda2 and first partition on seconde hd is hdb1 etc.)

close and save
on the command line (root@blah : /etc # ) type lilo

he will run the conf file from lilo and replace them in the MBR

then under XP disable the bootmgr from XP

Greetz

Lukas

Hey, thanks everyone!

Thanks for the details Lukas, it seems to make sense to me. I just didn't want to try something and render XP/98 unusable once I disable the XP bootloader.

I'm going to do a little more digging on the net to see how to backup both boot loader themes in case I really screw things up.

The reason for LILO to recognise Win98 and WinXP as one system is that they are one system. WinXP also boots from C: because its bootfiles are placed there. Another way to solve that is to install WinXP on a primary partition, so that it will place its bootfiles on its own partition and not make a dualboot with Win98. Then LILO would recognise it as a bootable partition and include it upon installing. I know System Commander is capable of booting XP directly from a dualboot, but is a little expensive really. I've never tries Lukas' solution, so I cannot comment.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back