Trillian 2.0 Thoughts and questions.

H

Hematic

Recently got a copy of trillian 2.0 I like it. I like it alot. Many many improvements over the 1.0. Its more stable, its got faster file sharing, its got more MSN functionality to it. And the list goes on and on.
On another interesting note they made all the plugins accessible only to users who by the software. The free version now no longer has plugins. Kinda frustrating since the plugins really helped expand the capabilities and functionality of the program.
Overall though i like it alot and reccomend it as my number one chat client.

Thoughts anyone?

I would have to agree with it being pretty damb nice and all. Then again its really only extra **** if you only use msn. If you only use msn messenger then its a bigger program with stuff you dont need. Other than that I totally agree!

I'm trying to figure out if the $20 means the program stops working after a year, or if you just cant install patches and get premium support.

JJB

the 20 bucks covers u for patches/plugins for a year. After that if you can find a patch/plugin, it'll still work but your logon to their account won't. I upgraded to the 2.0 and it looks the same to me but I only use the AOL side of it so who knows. I have all the plugins but most of them are useless to me as well. I just like the fact that I dont have a stupid ticker symbol or news flashing every 2 secs like AIM. I've used GAIM etc... but for some reason I prefer trillian.

I actively use AOL, MSN, and Yahoo, so Trillian is great for me. Just wondering if its worth it to drop the $20 for pro.

JJB

I had pro but it just wasn't what I was looking for, so I reverted back to the free version. Can't wait till they release a 2.0 for the free one but I'm not holding my breath, its still working great and is and is as functional as I need it.

Funny thing is I skin it as MS Messenger 5 so Trillian n00bs that go my PCs don't feel lost in its architecture.

Originally posted by Hematic
Recently got a copy of trillian 2.0 I like it. I like it alot. Many many improvements over the 1.0. Its more stable, its got faster file sharing, its got more MSN functionality to it. And the list goes on and on.
On another interesting note they made all the plugins accessible only to users who by the software. The free version now no longer has plugins. Kinda frustrating since the plugins really helped expand the capabilities and functionality of the program.
Overall though i like it alot and reccomend it as my number one chat client.

Thoughts anyone?

I really like Trillian 2.0, but I am very confused by your post. It is a publicly known fact that 2.0 was rushed and is MUCH LESS stable than 1.0.

Also you said the free version no longer supports plugins, however the free version has NEVER supported plugins.

A lot of people are wondering if it is worth the $25, all I can say is that if you've got some extra cash layin around then go for it. I wouldn't advise buying it if you would have to do some extra work or save up for it.

Well ketchup all i can say is this version is more stable for ME. Publicly known fact or not i could care less, i can only write from my own experience. And i would have sworn that the version i had befre allowed for plugins.....

I'm glad that the program is working good for you, I was just helping inform others that it isn't so stable for some.

As far as the plugin thing goes Trillian Pro 1.0 was the first to implement the plugin feature. The plugins have always been exclusive downloads for paying customers. The only exception was that you could find some plugins in the forums before they moved it to the member's section and even then you would've had to have 1.0 to use them.

I like the program itself ... but I seem to get disconnected constantly from MSN and ICQ ... but not on Y!. I don't know if this is because of Trillian, my connection, my firewall, or on MSN's and ICQ's end. Anyone else having this problem? This is exactly the reason I'm looking for Trillian substitute. I don't need all the bells and whistles ... I just want something that works.

Yes, had that problem, I think its M$N's and/or ICQ's fault. Its not very often though.

I use Trillian Pro 2.0 and I like it. I don't have any problems with stability or closing my connections. It's skinnable, faster, and uses less resources then 4 programs running at once. I rarely throw out extra money for things, but I felt this was a worthy enough of a cause to do so, and I feel it was well spent. Should you just use AIM, or one of the above mentioned programs, I suggest sticking with the free version, as you will not need the extra bells and whistles of Pro. And the 27 plugins are nothing MAJOR. There are only 3-4 useful ones anyways.

After a few days with it, i must say that it would make me sad to have to live without it.

Originally posted by ShepsCrook
I use Trillian Pro 2.0 and I like it. I don't have any problems with stability or closing my connections. It's skinnable, faster, and uses less resources then 4 programs running at once. I rarely throw out extra money for things, but I felt this was a worthy enough of a cause to do so, and I feel it was well spent. Should you just use AIM, or one of the above mentioned programs, I suggest sticking with the free version, as you will not need the extra bells and whistles of Pro. And the 27 plugins are nothing MAJOR. There are only 3-4 useful ones anyways.

I agree about the plugins. They make a big deal about having a lot of plugins while most of them are either pretty useless or are different versions of the same thing. I'm wondering how people are liking the spellcheck plugin, personally it would drive me nuts. I would constantly have to tell it to learn stuff, my IM chats are less that "proper" english. lol

I agree. I don't use any of the plugins because I have no use for most of them. I think there was only one or two that I would use on a regular basis. But oh well. I haven't.

Personally I think it's a great program. I've been using it for quite a few years now. :)

Pro 2 is more Eye Candy than anything, I still only use 2 plugins. I wish I could find away to turn off the startup music without having to delete the wav file.

Originally posted by lion7718
Pro 2 is more Eye Candy than anything, I still only use 2 plugins. I wish I could find away to turn off the startup music without having to delete the wav file.

You could rename the startup sound, lol. I have them all turned off, I'm not sure how to turn off specific ones.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back