Transparent Start Menu?

F

FunkyBunnies

How do you make your start menu transparent? I've seen it on some desktop screenshots....

Thanks! That's a NICE little app! Although, my system gets REALLY slow if I use it for Internet Explorer or Outlook Express....I have:

900 Mhz Althlon
256 PC100 RAM
GeForce 2 MX-200 32MB AGP

I will be getting a GeForce 4 MX-440 64 MB DDR AGP 4X monday though, we'll see how it handles it....

Doesn't really matter what type of system specs you have, Glass2K is still going to make your computer run slower. I tried it out on my 1600+ (1.4ghz) Athlon XP awhile back and it went pretty slow. Basically, if you are going to use it, it might be a good idea to apply transparent to a min. number of applications.

Glass works, to a point...

The main thing I want to make transparent are the menus that appear from start menu; All Programs, Favourites, etc.
Glass makes the start menu itself nicely transparent, and any other program/window you choose can do the same, but the programs menu is not transparent at all, & thus looks really outta place on my desktop.

Am I missing something, or isn't this very possible ?? :(

Cheers & happy tweakin....
Jay_Dubster

Hi,

You're right about Glass2k. It does make only a part of the startmenu transparent.
Another program wich does it all is Transxp, but this one is shareware:(

Greetings

You can use WindowFX and Glass2k, i have a Geforce 2 card and experience very minimal slow down for menu transparencies, ofcourse bigger menus make slower speeds, but for the most part my menus are small. Its not glass 2k thats slow, its windows. Glass2k just applys some internal window functions to window handles. 3d cards that support transparencies and such make it faster... like my geforce2, even a vanta tnt2 was better than a normal video card. i can run full screen IE windows fairly well really... a friend of mine with a gefoce 4 says he gets 5 concurent full screen IE windows goin in trans mode no slowdowns... so dont say the programs slow :) .

PS Be sure you turn off menu shadows. Appearence on Display Properties. Click Effects...i suggest turning off all menu effects when using transparencies...Mine pop up without a thought...i just notice that the shadows were on :X. That does slow it down.

i tryed glass2k but it only made the taskbar transparent ! ??

Well try to play with those settings again , u will succeed .
If you get a Geforce 4 card u can use nview setting : transparent .

Don't need a GeForce4 card ... the nView transparency setting can be used with any nVidia card if you have the Detonator drivers

They do ... if you have the Dets installed. I tried it on a TNT2 M64 :)

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back