Transformation to vista

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Hey, im a bit new at changing operating systems... I really never had too since xo has been out... I have just bought a new machine when new software came out...
By installing vista on my pc will i have to loose everything?
Or will vista be able to take over the windows instalation and leave my stuff there...

Just like almost every version of Windows until now has supported upgrades from the previous version, Vista will support upgrades from XP. The latest CTP is actually the first build that supports this.

So....
What your saying is that i will be able to keep all my stuff?

yes

many people will say you should always start with a fresh install when installing an OS. Probably mostly due to the buggy nature of previous upgrades. However i've had upgrades that work fine and i think Vista would probably be very good with ti. Of course always backup any important data first anyway :)

your vista is a beta and time bombed, not likely you can run that for too long, probably 6 months, 3 months, a year, something like that, it probably says how long the beta is good for in the eula...but to your technical question

I have never had a problem with an upgrade

still, I'd backup, partition and dual boot , when vista is running smoote, migrate your info, then delete whatever you want from the dual boot, even the entire partition

you can also save an image of your os untill everything is done to your satisfaction on your vista.

Last edited:
If you can upgrade a Windows 2000 Server to Windows Server 2003 and run it without any problems for nearly a year then it is safe to assume upgrades work out fine. The only thing you want to do is refresh your drivers with the latest version.

From experience I would reccommend doing a fresh install personally, as you won't get any glitches that sometimes appear when doing an upgrade install (like programs that aren't fully compatible until updates or some registry keys not being understood).

Having said this it should be stable whatever you decide to upgrade or install fresh.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back