Transferring files from 3.1 to xp.

Z

zoey

I heard the easist was is put the hdd in the xp machine as slave.
the old computer is a 386, are the hdd compatible? Can't I just put the word docs on the floppys? The only stuff to be saved on there are Word docs. I have never used 3.1 before so bear with me. There are about 200 docs on the 386.:eek:

rushm001

In the beginning......
Political User
The HDD should be compatible as long as it is an IDE drive, I'd give it a shot if I were you.
Used to use 3.11 many moons ago (and windows 3.0!!) at school. OMG I can't believe how basic they were. I think windows 3.1 was the first windows operating system where you could have startup and shutdown sounds!!:D

Z

zoey

So what you're saying after I change drives, will 3.1 boot up? or will I just navigate to the files. will the power cable be the same?
I hate to be a pain in the a$$. thx

rushm001

In the beginning......
Political User
No, shouldn't do as long as your normal drive is set as master, and the old drive set as slave it should find your normal operating system first.
Originally posted by Bucky Badger
I hate to be a pain in the a$$. thx
No worries:p

X-Istence

Political User
Uhm, easiest: Put it in the old 386 if it still exists, then just copy the files to floppy, and then open em. I dont suggest trying to run Windows 3.1 on any other hardware, i tried it and it majorly screwed up.

Z

zoey

the hdd is still in the 386, I tried to copy to the floppy, when i click on the down arrow, to save, the floppy clicks a few times, stops and it reverts back to "c"

C

Comptech

X-Intnse, why would you put a new ten dollar drive in a twenty dollar machine? The other reply's were right, just slave that drive and copy to the main harddrive.If they are word docs, i have found that word XP will go back as far word for windows 2.0 and open them just fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut