Transferring data

G

Gouk

How can I transfer 1:1 copy of data from 1 HDD to another. To be more specific, I want to keep my Windows installation but i am selling my 20Gb HDD and getting a 40Gb HDD.

Now i want my Windows Installation and programs to remain as they are and the registry, just wanna move the data to another HDD so when i join it back up to the PC, Windows XP will boot up as normal but from the new 40Gb hdd.

How can i do this?

Thanks!

Another question.

if i take out my 20Gb hard drive which has the windows xp install and stuff and put it into a tottaly different machine will Windows XP still boot and adjust itself to work on that machine?

i say adjust coz it has tottaly different gfx card, ram, motherboard etc..

Windows won't adjust by itself, but, and I have done this twice, if you put the new drive in and run in inplace upgrade then everything will be fine.

Of course backup everything, blah blah.. you know the drill.

Dan

For copying everythings form one drive to another, I think somethings like norton ghost can do it(not too sure).

For bringing one drive with windows installed to another computer. I have try it, win98 will run but win2000, while loading, it freeze up. Not sure about xp, could be same as win2000 and all those xp regisration stuffs, I think xp will not load.

Xp won't configure itself to work on the other drive..thats one of the things WPA prevents, cause windows will check the WPA.dbl to see if the hardware listed there matches the hardware in the comp

you'll get a blue screen and won't be able to boot, sorry man.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back