• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Tranfer Data From Old Hd To New Question

dadecamp

under worked, over paid
files and seettings?

My computer is shared with 4 users. Therefore I want to save all their personal settings and email accounts, files etc.
I can do a clean install of XP on the new drive. Would I have to install it on a different computer to use the files and setting wizard? Or can the files and settings wizard be fooled to move these from one drive to another?:confused:

A

allan

Norton Ghost or PowerQuest Drive Image will do what you want. Both products create an image (snapshot) of your drive(s) and reproduce that image exactly on the new drive.

1. Plug in the new disk as master, without the old disk.
2. Install Windows XP.
3. Plug in the old disk as master (C: ) , move the new disk to slave (not C: ).
4. Make a folder on the new disk, say "D:\Transfer" (if D: is the new disk). Make folders for each user under that ("D:\Transfer\User1").
5. Run the Move files and settings wizard and select your users transfer directory as the destination for the data.
6. Repeat 5 for all users.
7. Unplug the old disk and move the new disk to master.
8. Create new users with the same name as the ones on the old disk.
9. Restore all users using the wizard in the respective accounts.

That ought to do it. If you feel that any files are missing just copy them afterwards. All mail, favourites, documents and such should be transfered by the wizard.

Taurus

hardware monkey
zedric's way would be best... that way you get a clean install of xp (which is always good) and all your old settings and such.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loxioalix