Tranfer Data From Old Hd To New Question

dadecamp

under worked, over paid
I just bought a new 80gb hard drive and want to copy everything fromthe old c:\ to the new. Is this posible?

With the right software it is. Someone should be along to point you in the right direction.

files and seettings?

My computer is shared with 4 users. Therefore I want to save all their personal settings and email accounts, files etc.
I can do a clean install of XP on the new drive. Would I have to install it on a different computer to use the files and setting wizard? Or can the files and settings wizard be fooled to move these from one drive to another?:confused:

Norton Ghost or PowerQuest Drive Image will do what you want. Both products create an image (snapshot) of your drive(s) and reproduce that image exactly on the new drive.

1. Plug in the new disk as master, without the old disk.
2. Install Windows XP.
3. Plug in the old disk as master (C: ) , move the new disk to slave (not C: ).
4. Make a folder on the new disk, say "D:\Transfer" (if D: is the new disk). Make folders for each user under that ("D:\Transfer\User1").
5. Run the Move files and settings wizard and select your users transfer directory as the destination for the data.
6. Repeat 5 for all users.
7. Unplug the old disk and move the new disk to master.
8. Create new users with the same name as the ones on the old disk.
9. Restore all users using the wizard in the respective accounts.

That ought to do it. If you feel that any files are missing just copy them afterwards. All mail, favourites, documents and such should be transfered by the wizard.

zedric's way would be best... that way you get a clean install of xp (which is always good) and all your old settings and such.

I will try it

Thanks Zedric. I will try that and let you know how it turns out.:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back