Total Begginer needs some help OCing

kgmf

OSNN One Post Wonder
Hi all,
I know there is a thread out there allready that is called "overclocking my 3200+" and thats what I want to do, but it's a little over my head.
I'd like to overclock my system but I know nothing. The risks to my hardware (are there any) the problems it may cause, what I have to know, what I have to do, if I need to do any maths(!?) and if I need any special programs.
If i got a push start then i could maybe understand some of the other threads I see...

My system is:
Antec 450W
Gainward GeForce6800 128MB (this is OCed by the gainward software - I don't know anythign about it but it works fine)
AMD64 3200+
MSI NK8 Neo Platinum board
512MB pc3200 DDR (soon to be 1.5GB)
and the rest isn't really important i think...

I'd appreciate any help at all
Thanks
kgmf

Make sure you have a full understanding off FSB, multipliers, cpu voltages, agp default speed etc. Im way to lazy to find info on overclocking for you, But im sure someone else will help you out. Before you overclock you should install some software on your OS that will monitor your system temps. Check what your cpu temps are prior to overclocking, so you have a basis of how hot things are getting. Make sure your heatsink is clear of dust, as is your system (My heatsink had so much dust it was almost reaching 70 degrees C once, so yes this matters). Make sure you have a good air flow in your case to aid in cooling. I know my geforce 6800gt produces alot of heat, and your model is clsoe to mine so i assume yours gets hot too. Also, make sure you know how to clear the CMOS incase you clock too high and cannot boot the system.

Such information would be nice. I too would like to ever clock as I am expecting my liquid cooler in the next two days. At this point, the fan that came with my processer is utter **** a vibrates whenever the processer goes above 70%.

Current Specs:
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.4 HGz 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775
RAM: (2) GeIL DDR 2 Series 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
Graphics Card: Radeon X700 256MB DDR PCI Express x16
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG SP2004C 200GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

The part I'm concerned about...
Motherboard: intel Socket T Intel 945P ATX Intel Motherboard

I know a good pile about PC's and whatnot, as I build them for side cash. However, overclocking is a new experience. A nice walkthrough would be appreciated.

Yes, you can fry your MB or CPU (and with the wrong MB you can even fry your video card). Do a lot of research before you start.

The motherboard has to support overclocking. NOT just allow you to change settings. The MB needs independent control of FSB, AGP, PCI and RAM clock frequencies. Voltage control is nice too.

You have to have a good CPU heatsink/fan, and 2 case fans one in front one in the back.

You have to know how to do a CMOS reset without wiping your bios.

You have to have a hefty power supply.

All of this will get you an extra 10% in performance IF you are lucky and don't fry the system.

If you do not understand this you need to google "overclocking for beginners" and spend a lot of time reading.

Is it possible to overclock a laptop? I was just wondering if I should do it but i'm afraid the whole machine would just burn up

Okay, in one thread you wonder about a laptop overheating and now you want to overclock the laptop.

One word. DON'T.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back