Toshiba Satellite 2455-S305

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
Argh!

I bought this laptop for my then girlfriend now fiance about 2 years ago. Her sister had borrowed it for this semester b/c she hadn't yet gotten a laptop to use for school, and I just got it back a few days ago. Her school put so much **** on it to let it work in their environment, so I was going to do a fresh install. Laptop came with XP Pro, so this really shouldn't be an issue.

I installed with an XP SP2 CD, everything went smooth, except I couldn't install the Video or Audio drivers. Video drivers seemed to install OK, got the old "reboot to finish" crud, but after a reboot it still showed up in Device Manager as not installed. When I installed the Audio drivers, it got towards the end and gave me an error message that the driver can't be found, please reboot and try again.

So, I read some stuff online about how SP2 can mess up some of the drivers for this model. I brought the laptop to work this morning to get an older CD, installed XP with NO service packs, same problem with those two drivers. I called Toshiba support, they said they would have to charge me $45 to send me a recovery CD, or $120 an hour for over-the-phone troubleshooting. I simply stated that it's not my problem, you just haven't updated your drivers since 2003.

This really blows.....anyone have thoughts on how I can get this going without spending 45 bucks?

Mad reps to someone who helps :)

Did you install the drivers for the chipset first? Are you using an OEM copy of XP Professional or a standalone version?

What video card and what sound processor are present in the notebook? It is possible to obtain drivers for Intel based video cards from the Intel web site (likely newer than the ones on Toshiba's web site).

Regardless, if the drivers Toshiba offers are outdated and have issues with SP2 I wouldn't let it go. I would get a manager on the phone and explain the situation to him/her.

Yeh I searched lightly, starting with the video first as it was an Nvidia chipset. Eventually, it directed me back to Toshiba.

Sound is from SounMAX I believe, I only spent a small amount of time searching on google last night as I hadn't yet tried XP pre-SP2.

I think your idea of calling Toshiba back is a good one, as I know the hardware is fine as it worked as recent as yesterday before the format.

That's the problem with drivers.

I wouldn't let it go. I would raise hell. Espcially since it is only a couple of years old.

Those updates are about right for a 2 year old laptop. Once they get a functional set they do not change them for any reason. I'm running 2-4 year old bioses and drivers on all of my systems except the one I bought this fall.

I've never heard of anyone updating drivers for OS service pack compatibility.

I suspect the MB drivers are the wrong ones or not installed properly (i.e. not in the "correct" order).

Reformat again with an SP1 or earlier version. DO NOT let windows do anything by itself. When the driver installs come up point it to your downloaded driver files. The VIA Hyperion 4 in 1 will work for AGP and PCI but you will need chip specific video drivers for the on board vid and sound and possibly for the USB 2.

Find the manual for the laptop on line. My guess for install order is:
MB PCI
MB AGP
MB Vid
MB Audio
MB USB 2

But you need to have the correct sequence or the functions won't work.

And don't forget to reset the CMOS to default before beginning install.

Once you are up and running with SP1 then install PS2 and see if it craters you. If it does not then slip stream a new Windows disk with all the correct drivers and SP2.

I did reset the CMOS, and have already tried installing with both a SP1 and pre-SP1 disk.

I installed the chipset drivers first, then video, then sound, which is always my procedure, but I couldn't even get the video to install, but tried audio for sugars and giggles, no luck.

Good tip tho, on phone with Toshiba now, thx.

EDIT: your previous statement is also not correct, while it may not be wide-scale, some drivers were updated to work with SP2.

Woo, after some bickering they are sending me a recovery CD for free. This better work :)

Thanks for the tip madmatt.

No one wants an upset customer on their hands. Especially one willing to escalate the issue to management. Each call costs the company money so they are more than willing to settle by replacing the $2.00 recovery disc and paying for shipping.

I am glad it worked out.

madmatt said:
No one wants an upset customer on their hands. Especially one willing to escalate the issue to management. Each call costs the company money so they are more than willing to settle by replacing the $2.00 recovery disc and paying for shipping.

I am glad it worked out.

That and the fools who actually pay the $45 cover the costd of pacifying 21 other irate customers.

Kyn-
I'm curious what types of hardwrae drivers were affected by SP2 security fixes?

LeeJend said:
That and the fools who actually pay the $45 cover the costd of pacifying 21 other irate customers.

Kyn-
I'm curious what types of hardwrae drivers were affected by SP2 security fixes?

I can't remember any off the top of my head, but they are out there. You have to remember that SP2 wasn't only security, it was feature-rich as well.

I also don't think it's "fools" who pay the $45, it's more a company taking advantage of people, which is unfair to call them fools. Sometimes, people get desperate and it's a shame :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back