Torrent Sites call it quits

yea
its in the main news section
:twisted:

I need to spend a little less time stuck in the forums and read the front page every now and then.

I wonder what their reasons were. The recent MPAA actions perhaps?

bound to happen...all these centralized sites moving from host to host...every time it gets too easy for people to download things it gets more and more popular and more and more well known...

IRC... :ninja:

Youceff was raided/shutdown too.
I think the reason is the MPAA and article is here.

Lots more news on the main page of above link about what torrent sites have been shutdown or raided by police.

someone said that teh word is their scripts were lost when their servers went down or something like that... hence the changes...

piracy is too mainstream.
back to the underground it will go?

If it's happening for legal purposes, then I don't understand since the sites were only hosting or linking to torrents... not the files themselves. BitTorrent as a technology is giving the MPAA and RIAA problems because there is no centralized server where the files are being downloaded from. I'd like to find more information with details about the closing of these sites.

muzikool said:
I'd like to find more information with details about the closing of these sites.
Not sure if this is what you are looking for....there is some info on this page.

muzikool said:
If it's happening for legal purposes, then I don't understand since the sites were only hosting or linking to torrents... not the files themselves. BitTorrent as a technology is giving the MPAA and RIAA problems because there is no centralized server where the files are being downloaded from. I'd like to find more information with details about the closing of these sites.

Napster didn't host the files themselves either ... but they did run the server that enabled other people to do it. This is exactly what trackers do.

I didn't really care for suprnova. It sucks that TB went down though. I had a 3:1 ratio there. :(

vern said:
I wonder what their reasons were. The recent MPAA actions perhaps?
Yes MPAA said it will be going after BT sites last week. here

Booo! everything free for everyone! Money corrupts! Bring on the star trek no money utopia! No more bling! down with gold! Free crap for all! (except my stuff....get your filthy paws of it!)

Sazar said:
someone said that teh word is their scripts were lost when their servers went down or something like that... hence the changes...
Nope. There are no changes, they simply shut the site's down. It was an administrive decision to turn Apache off on TorrentBits (You'll find the IRC server and other services are still available), then later, Apache was run again and a simple "goodbye" replaced the site.

As for suprnova, I guess they just call it quits whilst they were ahead, as to concentrate on their new projects.

Both site's will remain active (in the way of IRC and forums to keep an active community) and shall return eventually, just nothing like we've grown to know them. TorrentBits will not be launching a new site, no new domain, regardless of rumours. So ignore any site's with the TB name, any announcements will be made on the TB site only, there is a 'clone' site in progress but it's not official.

Supnova will likely return without torrents, but rather their new "Exeem" application, which if it delivers all that it promises, shall be a bloody impressive piece of software.

Many people overlooked them, but also site's such as Phoenix, Youceff, DVDrCore, TVTorrents have also gone down. Seems whatever's causing site's to close is pretty serious (most say MPAA, but none of the site's have openly said this to be the cause.)

I guess we'll see with time what happens :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back