Torrent Sites call it quits

I had mentioned this elsewhere; but not everyone who downloads torrents is nessecarilly an individual who steals everything for free. In my case for instance:

- I recently got mailing from Replay (Sun Coast's frequent shopper club) indicating that since joining, like 2.5 years ago, I had earned $260 in reward certificates. Now to put this in perspective, for a $5 certificate, one needs to make $100 in purchases...

- Most of the stuff I had downloaded are television shows which are or once were available on the air waves or through digital cable which I subscribe too (hardly cheap).

- Other stuff I have downloaded are dang near impossible to find in the United States. Either a foreign show (I watch a fair amount of Anime) else they have been discontinued/not being made available anymore.

- When I finish watching stuff, I delete it.

- Once upon a time I didn't even buy TV shows on, then it was VHS. Since then, there had been a few things I wanted to go back and watch, but again discontinued. Look on a place like Amazon.com and they're now collectors items with very little used products still existing. One show, tried to get a couple videos (and they had very little of it on video) and after about 9 months of waiting for someone to sell theirs, I gave up.

Now I pretty much buy that which I would want to see again at some latter time. Space in my appartment is very limited, and I couldn't ware house everything heaven forbid :D A lot of stuff I've watched once or twice though, it was interesting/funny/whatever the first time through, but not good enough that I would want to watch it again and again ;)

Like with the RIAA several years ago, and then many of the recording artists began to speak against them, I think the argument of piracy is at times over-stated.

Before they went down, I was watching Earth Final Conflict again. And lest someone say "buy it", I already own seasons 3 and 4 on DVD. Season 5 I hadn't got yet, and seasons 1 and 2 were never released on DVD. When I inquired about this on an EFC forum several years ago, it was mentioned that the distribution company only got rights to release seasons 3-5 and that seasons 1 and 2 aren't comming out. Go figure... At least I was able to hunt down the suprnova mirror (wasn't listed on torrent reactor which is still up) which will work for getting the rest of that. Whether it will include new torrents or not, or just a copy of the old stuff...can't say.

Xie said:
Yes MPAA said it will be going after BT sites last week. here

That doesn't mean they were the ones responsible. Their reach is not so far as to overstep the jurisdiction of others.

... TVTorrents have also gone down. Seems whatever's causing site's to close is pretty serious (most say MPAA, but none of the site's have openly said this to be the cause.

That is just them being unstable. They are down 9 times out of 10 in my experience.

As for what I download ... the only thing I download are TV shows especially back episodes. The price of single season DVDs is just ridiculous.

Seems the MPAA aren't responsible for these two site's, at least not directly.

SuprNova:
Slyck spoke with Sloncek, administrator of SuprNova.org about its closure.

"SuprNova.org was more like a hobby that took most of my free time away. And now with current situation, there's too much pressure and I don't have the time for it."

and RedBeard, owner of TorrentBits, got engaged (it's always a woman's fault! :eek: :p :D) and also lost support for the site from some of the staff, so decided to call it a day.

TVTorrents were apparently (note: this is a rumour, I can't back this up) daft enough to let their domain expire, but will be back, many people are also saying they got hacked etc. We'll see. :)

I can say that TorrentBits was nothing to do with legalities, at all.

Such a shame though, was a great community if nothing else.

It's kinda sad that TB went away because of Redbeard's personal life. It's a shame that such a big community had to be centered on a single person although I'm speculating there was more to the shutdown than the engagement. It's always nice to hear someone ending up happy and married though.

macromp said:
tvtorrents isnt down, they changed domain

Proving speedy_b's point.

There were some other factors involved with TB, some even I don't fully understand. Its just a shame it was chosen to end it the way he chose to, myself and others would of happily stepped up :(

I sincerely hope piracy disappears from the mainstream. Nothing better than a load of novices to muck things up.

I'll admit that I've used Bittorrent as a VCR before. Alright, I missed a show and downloaded the missed episode. I download, I watch, I delete. Once upon a time it was easy to miss an episode and then wait for the repeat but life isn't so simple anymore. The TV guides don't tell you when a show is a repeat or not... don't give you good enough info, period. On top of this you now have half-season shows that get replaced by total sh** shows [ie reality tv] and it means little to no repeats at all.

So... what happens? Well, download the wrong series with Bittorrent and you might find yourself in trouble. I'd advise people to be wary of using Bittorrent to download episodes of the new Battlestar Galactica series. Just trust me on this.

rotjong

Add to that that when we were younger it was relatively easy by comparison to make sure that we'd be home after school or whenever else to watch a favorite show.

These days however, we can't afford to have our lives revolve around the tube. If we have to be somewhere at a given time, we have to be there whether it's the time a show comes on or not. I used to try to make it home for certain shows. These days there are very few shows I would try to fit into my schedule, which isn't even entirely constant anyhow. I have to work my meals around my college classes, forget just TV... Though there are more then a couple shows I watch, I don't make it a point to watch them at their aired time anymore, nor can I.

These days, TV on our time really is more of a feasability however...

these things are bound to happen, when things stay out of the mainstream they maintain...when napster and suprnova get to big it all goes down hill because they get so much attention that the big guys like the riaa and mpaa get notice and see the mainstreamers proliferating the illegal downloads and they get worried...if things stick to the more unknown places they will live with less people pirating

its just like getting a pair of jeans anymore.. as soon as they get comfortable they tear out.. hehe btw im back everyone.. no more -20 degree weather.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back