Torrent router question.

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

Should I portforward my router for bittorrent? If so, which port(s)?

And what does "seed" mean? I read somewhere that a file has to seed.

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Yes! You should set up port forwarding to get the fastest possible transfer speeds on BT, unless you have a UPnP-enabled router, in which case port forwarding is done dynamically when necessary.

By default, BT uses TCP ports 6881-6999, although different clients may be set up to use different ports. Many of them will even allow you to specify which port(s) they should use within their settings panels.

In BT terminology, a "seed" is a peer that has already finished downloading the whole file, but is continuing to upload it to other peers requesting the same file. As you might expect, there needs to be at least one "seed" for every torrent shared. Conversely, "leechers" are peers who are downloading and uploading pieces of the same file simultaneously. So when downloading any file, you typically start off as a leecher and become a seed when the download completes, unless you close off your BT client after it's done.

Great, Thanks for explanation, Nets.

Heeter

As stated, You should forward them. Little word of advice though is that you should set the ports to a higher stage. I have mine set to 49200. Most of the ISP are throttling the default ports, plus most of the torrent tracker sites don't allow default ports ..

It also depends on what client you use. Azureus for example only uses one port no matter how many torrents you have running. I port set to 56661-56669.

EDIT: I port set. I must have been drunk. I mean:

I use ABC and I have my port set to ...

Last edited:
Awesome, Guys

Thanks for the heads up,

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back