greggustin

OSNN Addict
my pal has a laptop
he has 27 GB of MSP files (in 40 GB HD)
looks like they are executing every month
he says he is not doing anything
how can we get rid of these?

format c: /u :p

msp files are Microsoft patch files, mainly used in security updates, try checking the MS site it might have some info or tools there that might be able to remove them if they are not required

format c: /u :p

msp files are Microsoft patch files, mainly used in security updates, try checking the MS site it might have some info or tools there that might be able to remove them if they are not required

I did read that they are patch files and are not 'bad'
but there are hundreds of them, and in big groups on same day
about once per month for past 9 months
(had computer for 4 years)

I would delete them and turn off windows update - Or, set it to update but not to download anything unless he says to. That way he can decide what gets done and what doesn't. Personally, I have updates turned off and use autopatcher.

http://www.autopatcher.com/

ok - i will suggest that (turn off updater)
but then what do I do with 27GB of MSP files?

I only have 1 .msp file. All I do is run disk clean up under each HD's propertiesonce a month. It must be deleting the installer files.

Where are these located? When was the last time CCleaner was ran?

Most likely located in Windows\Installer which is a hidden folder.

shouldn't do as the patched files are already installed, its like keeping the .exe to a program just in case the latest version requires a file, the new security updates will have the files in it, it needs - they are safe to delete.

Do as we say or we will come round to your house and give you wedgies and chinese burns!!!!! :p

ok - will try the CCleaner first
- to see if it does its job :)
if not, will then delete them
will report back later today - after I get to my pals computer

thanks to everyone here !

Just a heads up that if you remove them and then had to use system restore you may have problems similar to what is described in KB 814833.
Not saying you will have problems but it is possible.

yes - that was my concern
especially as it is not my computer
I told him to buy a external USB drive
so we can store all the msp files offline

MSP update

pal bought a 300Mb USB External ($50) for his laptop
transferred all the hidden *.msp files (25GB)
turned off Windows Automatic Update
everything seems fine (at this time :p )

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back