Too many crashes...

• Thread starter Kip Crawford
  • Start date
K

Kip Crawford

My systen keeps crashing all the time, especially when I am in Photoshop 6 using layers.

I have a 750 AMD
320M SDRAM 133mhz
GeForce 200 32 meg Nvidia card
20gig Maxtor Quatum Fireball ATA100 w/ ATA100 adapter card. HD
FICA/AMI mother board with VIA (133) chipset

This is definately a hardware problem since this does the same thing with Win98 and ME. I am using XP Home now. I also checked the 20g HD by switiching to a 2.1 gig ATA33 and does the same thing. It basically happen as soon as I click the mouse or even type. In PS6 especially, if I am working in layers, 3 out 0f 10 times if I click on the mouse for a tool or function my screen goes blank.Getting very frustrated because I've tried everything from tweaking the BIOS to just about everything else. Setting and resetting the resolutions, increasing the paging files or vice verse...after these crashes my screen goes blank, sometimes I can see color lines on the top of the screen, sometimes not. It's not the video card because I've tried 3 others that do the same thing. I'm wondering if my Motherboard is bad. The mouse and keyboard are part of the USB, but I have the PS/2 mouse on. My USB has never worked properly so I have it shut off in BIOS. Can anyone give me any idea if this could be the trouble...a bad motherboard. I know of a few folks that almost have the same set-up and motherboard and BIOS version and they have no problems. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Is your PhotoShop 6 a RETAIL version?

I am saying this because the software could be at fault.

Not just PS6..

No...it does it on a few other programs, just alot in PS6 when using layers. Sometimes when using the internet and typing on forums or E-Mail it will blank out on a key stroke or click of the mouse. It was also doing this in 98 and ME without PS6. Sometimes games will blink out, but not often.

In PS6 (I bought the upgrade from 5.5) if I move layers or drag an item in the window it will blank out 85% of the time. And in Word 2000 if i type long enough it will do the same on a keystroke. Never does this if the computer is left alone. But it will do it sometimes when the system goes to screen saver. My other APM setting are off such as sleep mode and hybernation.

This is why I think I have a hardware problem. Thanks!

Surely if you are working with to many layers you are useing up all your ram.

If you go to admid tools and event viewer it should tell you what happened when it crashed.

crashing

The event viewer tells me nothing. It's not a RAM problem concerning PS6. My scratch disk is totally empty, enough paging file room. I can have 2 layers and it will still do. Doesn't matter how many really. PS6 does fine until I use layers, but this is just one scenerio. I have run diagnostics, updated the BIOS, changed the RAM, even got a new hard drive....still does it. I'm pretty stumped...

Crashes....

Yes. I have been in contact with Adobe about the problem. They say may systems resources are enough to run PS6 easily, however they made the same suggestion that my sysytem itself is at fault. PS6 just "amplifies" the problem. The crashes are not just in PS6, it does happen in Word 2000 or even word pad, my E-Mail too if I am typing or a click of the mouse. A few news groups think that my USB or IDE controller may have a problem. All my frivers are updated including the VIA 4n1 drivers. Had Microsoft check into my problem and their answer pretty much confirms what I'm sure it could be. These crashes happen 95% of the time at either the click of the mouse or a keystroke.

Do these problems start as soon as you boot up, if not maybe it could be your cpu is getting to hot and crashing.

Have you tried flashing your BIOS with the latest update.

Crashes....

Right after boot up, I'll go into PS6 (as a test) and it has actually crashed on the very first click of the mouse once PS6 is loaded.

BIOS was updated with the newer version 4 months ago. As for CPU temps, that could be the case, but it used 2 40mm fans and I have a larger older PSU fan on the top to blow cool air into the case. I did notoce that my Bridge coproccesor get very hot and the newer motherboards use fans on them now. That could also be a problem itself.

So how many fans do you have running off your power supply ?.
And what is the wattage of your supply.

Do you think your power supply could be on its way out.

Just a thought..........

Crashes...

The CPU fan is off the regular system as is the other PDU fan I rigged as a cooling fan into the case. MY PSU is 400w.

I used Motherboard Monitor to check my temps, and they seem to be staying within their operating tolerences. I also use another temp sensor program that basically says the same temps.

Have you put a test meter on each of the power sockets to check the voltage output.

Just a shot in the dark

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back