Too good to be true?

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
I've had my job for nearing 3 years, basically I love it. The problem is slowly but surely I've been getting more and more bored with it. So on a whim I did a quick search on Dice. I found a few and applied, now 2 days later I have a new job offer. This one is a field service job for a company called Getronics. It pays 30% more per hour, excellent benefits, provides company PDA AND pays mileage. It sounds wonderful. I googled the name of the company and the phrase horror story and I can't find anything wrong with them. So why am I so apprehensive? Is it really too good to be true? Or do I just like my job so much that I'm worried this won't live up to it? Any thoughts would be welcome.

The only way to ever find out if something is too good to be true is to do it. And it could very easily be true. Good luck, and enjoy.

I've had my job for nearing 3 years, basically I love it. The problem is slowly but surely I've been getting more and more bored with it. So on a whim I did a quick search on Dice. I found a few and applied, now 2 days later I have a new job offer. This one is a field service job for a company called Getronics. It pays 30% more per hour, excellent benefits, provides company PDA AND pays mileage. It sounds wonderful. I googled the name of the company and the phrase horror story and I can't find anything wrong with them. So why am I so apprehensive? Is it really too good to be true? Or do I just like my job so much that I'm worried this won't live up to it? Any thoughts would be welcome.
take a swing bouncing soul but before you do, do some more negative searches

"Getronics screwed me"

Getronics fired me

I quir Getronics

things like that, I'm sure you can come up with a few better then I came up with

I read the wiki link before, the Forbes link is a little troubling and I'm not really smart enough for the other links. hehe. I did manage to find a forum where a few people bash the environment at the company, but I don't know if that would apply to me since I'd be a field guy. I don't know, I'm just a little weirded out by who quickly this happened.

I can personally state that when it comes to new jobs and companies, you will much easier find complaints and negative items than praises as fitzy said.

I have bounced around a bit for various reasons and honestly have a few regrets. It is important that you leave and move on for the right reasons. Money is nice, and that's a good increase, but you have to consider all the factors and it depends on what is important to you. Sure, you're a field guy, but you are also starting off on the bottom rung of people in your department most likely. You need to re-learn the company specific environment and policies, and meet and merge with new people. Things you think you may know or be good at may no longer apply.

Long story short, if you feel it's a good move than go with your gut. Make a decision and stick with it - just be sure you think it through and make the move for the right reasons, if you do. Don't listen to anyone else - do your own research, ask the right questions and form your own opinions. Look at it this way - if you get a 30% increase and you give it a year and don't like it, that is your new base salary for when you look for your next job :)

Well said sir, Reps for putting it all in perspective.

My 2 cents

$0.01) Consider this analogy:

A job is like a swimming pool, when you get it, the water seems wonderful, but as you stay in it you start looking at other swimming pools that look better. You think to yourself, "Hmmm. Should I go to this other swimming pool?" You don't know if the water will be better in the other pool or not, but it looks comfortable, and the other people in the other pool seem to be enjoying themselves, but your current pool isn't really that bad and thus aprehension kicks in. IMHO - if the pool you are in isn't really all that bad, I would just stay in it and enjoy the ride. The fact that you an get a job offer so quickly tells me you will have no worries if you current pool becomes bad (or everyone spills out of it)

$0.02) I would never leave a job just because I feel bored.

Bordem is a state of mind. It takes practice and imagaination, to learn how to alliveate it and constantly challenge yourself. Although some employers and some jobs maybe better at challenging you then others. At the end of the day, it will be your ability to challenge yourself that will make all the difference. If however, your current job is causing you a pain, something that you cannot live with, something causing excess stress for little pay, then I would see $0.01 above.

Happy swimming and good luck !

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back