tomato firmware and wireless

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
thinking of using the wireless card i have for the laptop as all the cables are begining to piss me off something chronic, question is how often do you or should you set any router to change the key, at the moment its at 3600 which is every hour and its using wpa2 and a 10 digit code using numbers and letters.

I have it set to not broadcast the ssid - use staic ips, and allow cards by mac only (i know you could get round this if you really wanted too), only down side is i beleave 801.1g routers do a radius of 149metres/feet, which is the only thing putting me off atm, there are a few other wireless networks near me, all secured, but the router is near a window at the back of the house (only place for it) and a drive by isnt likely to happen up this quiete street, but still i am unsure of it.

What do you lot think? so i go for it or stick with wired?

wired is most secure.

I believe WPA2-PSK is the most secure for wireless at this point.

which is what i would use for wireless, just wonder if its worth it

Lord, I could make a strong case for WPA2-RAIDUS as more secure, but, as most home users won't be setting up a RAIDUS server, it's kind of a moot point :p

So.. what does the tomato firmware have to do with anything in this question? :p

Your question is really how often (if at all) should one change the WPA2 PreShared Key. The main question is really router independent as it is a fairly generic question.

Don't know if there really is a "best practice" for how often the key should change (if ever). Obviously when you change the key it would require you to change it on all the machines that access the wireless router.

It's like changing your password - how often do you change your password? Some people never do and are fine with it.. other people change it every month.

It's a matter of how secure and/or paranoid you feel :) Since it seems most people around you have their own wireless and/or internet you would be more worried about people driving by and trying to access your network from the street. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it and just leave the shared key static and not change it.

edit: you may want to use a larger key - and generate a random one
http://www.yellowpipe.com/yis/tools/WPA_key/generator.php

Nothing is ever 100% secure. but in your case, using your wireless to just "surf the net" would be fine like most do. if your encryption is strong you should be ok.

I myself , if to do banking or personal transactions. I turn off my wireless and switch to a wired connection.

wow I think you are way to paranoid.

I just use WPA2-PSK, if they get in awesome for them.

Lord, I could make a strong case for WPA2-RAIDUS as more secure, but, as most home users won't be setting up a RAIDUS server, it's kind of a moot point :p

So.. what does the tomato firmware have to do with anything in this question? :p

the fact is that i have only used wireless with linksys firmaware, i have never used tomoato for it, just wondering if anyone has and how it perfroms :)

wow I think you are way to paranoid.

I just use WPA2-PSK, if they get in awesome for them.

theres a difference to being paranoid, and being secure, and the fact is that if they do get in, under law over here i am liable for it, so if they download anything iffy i get the blame

I use WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] on my netgear rangemax.

I forgot about grc. I will have to use one of those ...

Yep, I don't want to take a chance of anyone getting on my wireless network. So if they can still get in with that, then so be it lol ...

I use Linksys WRT54GS (v1) with newest Tomato, WPA2-PSK with GRC code (256 bit code, so hard to break). Works like a charm.

But I also use fixed-ip addresses (no DHCP from the router) and MAC filter so only the mac from my laptop can connect to the router (I know it is easy to duplicate the mac address but with all the other measures I think I have done enough as possible to be not-liable for someone who still enters my network without permission and uses it for illegal purposes)

The only other thing I would suggest is perhaps get a seperate device for wifi and wired - you can then put your machines on different subnets, so wired and wireless devices can't talk. More specifically if your wifi gets hijacked, your wired machines are secure.

This doesn't protect you from war driving persay, but a relatively cheap extra step in security practices.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back