Toggle Binds - Q3, MOHAA, WOLF, SOF2 (FPS, Stats, etc.)

V

Vorpal

I noticed someone asking about how do display FPS in a Quake3 based game, and I like throwing this info out every so often:

All Q3 engine games support Toggle Bingds for keys. Any setting (well...) that is either going to be a 1 or a 0 (on or off - dooh) can be bound to a key in a toggle mode (pressing the key turns it from on to off or off to on and so on ... blah blah).

This are some of mine mine... I find it helpful in MP games to get rid of distractions, but sometimes I like to look at lag or FPS, or even team related stats (sometimes not). You can even string these to end up with something like a HUD on/off key.

bind q "toggle cg_drawfps"
bind w "toggle cg_drawTimer"
bind e "toggle cg_cg_drawScores"
bind r "toggle cg_lagometer"

some other possiblities are:
cg_drawTeamOverlay
cg_drawFriend
cg_noVoiceChats
cg_noVoiceText
cg_teamChatsOnly
cg_drawStatus

----------------------------------------------

You can go beyond this with scripts (changing things that don't have on off settings)

When I get set for fragging, I play Metallica... sometimes it gets in the way and I may want to adust the volume (sometimes hearing footsteps helps, sometimes not). This is example uses the INSERT key to cycle through volume levels (after the 9th keypress this keeps rotating starting at a volume of .01 again):

====
set command1 "vstr command2"
set command2 "seta s_musicvolume 0.100000; set command1 vstr command3"
set command3 "seta s_musicvolume 0.150000; set command1 vstr command4"
set command4 "seta s_musicvolume 0.200000; set command1 vstr command5"
set command5 "seta s_musicvolume 0.250000; set command1 vstr command6"
set command6 "seta s_musicvolume 0.300000; set command1 vstr command7"
set command7 "seta s_musicvolume 0.350000; set command1 vstr command8"
set command8 "seta s_musicvolume 0.400000; set command1 vstr command9"
set command9 "seta s_musicvolume 0.450000; set command1 vstr command10"
set command10 "seta s_musicvolume 0.500000; set command1 vstr command3"

bind INS "vstr command1"
====

For a list of all bindable keys and some scripting information you can go to:

http://www.planetquake.com/thebind/bindlist.shtml

I forgot to mention that a volume of 1.0 is full blast, 0.5 is halfway up.

Happy Fragging
-V

Originally posted by Vorpal
When I get set for fragging, I play Metallica... sometimes it gets in the way and I may want to adust the volume (sometimes hearing footsteps helps, sometimes not). This is example uses the INSERT key to cycle through volume levels (after the 9th keypress this keeps rotating starting at a volume of .01 again

That sounds like a pretty cool idea, might have to try that one :D

Man (I'm rusty).

The script WONT WORK unless you get the MP3 related mod to turn your in-game music level into an external WAV/MP3 out sound volume control.

Otherwise - without the mod, (the old way I did it) was to put the music on a low level and adjust the SOUND volume instead of the music volume (not near as good).

I also forgot to mention that for the script part to work you have to make your own (seperate) config file in the baseq3 folder (or whatever it's called in the Q3 game your playing - "main" in Medal of Honor for example).

If you put a script in the main cfg file it will get overwritten. For that matter toggles may too. - I always have seperate config files (can't remember).

To Auto execut your own config (I call mine Vorpal.cfg), open your real config file (Q3 = q3config.cfg) and make the last line:

exec (yourfilename).cfg

Or, you can manually exec the file by bringing down the console and typing: \exec (yourfilename).cfg

Yeah did wonder briefly about which sound it would turn down :p
Is there such a mod for Counter-strike ?

I don't know about CounterStrike...

Probably a good place to ask would be:
http://www.forumplanet.com/planethalflife/

Heck, at one time there was even a mod for Q3 that would let you change MP3's while in game ( I assume it would let you go forward and back through your tracklist - but I never played with it).

Yeah, I think there was one integrated into Rocket Arena 3

How can i change the MAX FPS?
I´ve tried /cg_maxfps 0 and other combinations but its just saying "unknown cmd bla bla". I have GF3 P41,7 and i think i should have a little more fps than just 30...

Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back