To watch TV!

G

galum

Hi all, newbie here!

Simple question - i want to get a TV card to watch tv on my pc - so far so good!

Question 1 - is - what should i be looking for as an absolute minimum spec for the card.

Question 2 - is Digital/Analogue a consideration? Can i watch an analogue signal on a digital card but not the other way round?

Question 3 - If your replies raise any further questions can i ask them here?

Cheers

By the way am in UK.

:confused:

1. Min Spec from Hauppauge

System Requirements:

* Pentium® processor 90MHz or faster
* Windows® 95, 98, ME, NT4.x (with service pack 3 or higher), 2000 and XP
* Free PCI slot
* Sound card
* Graphics card (PCI or AGP) with Direct Draw support

2. As of yet i dont think there are any digital TV cards there are adapters you can put between the arial and tv card to let you watch digital tv

As a general rule tho i would warn you away from TV Cards, i had one up until last month, my computer was crashing / resetting and i was gettin random blue screens all the time, i simply removed the card and have been running the PC fine for quite some time now (I've also asked friends and they have experienced similar issues)
It seems if you use a mother board based on a via chipset it will cause proplems with hauppauge TV Cards

I have a Pinnacle TV card (with the latest drivers) running under XP home. It installed with errors and XP did not like the original driver and disabled it until the updated drivers became available. Now, no problems. This was the cheapest card I could find but has worked without error now for over four months.

Nice, it may possibly just be hauppauge cards that dislike everything :p
On the official site it basically says unless you have an intel mobo you're stuffed.
But i've never known anyone to have a different brand of TV Card.
Personaly i've just moved my TV into this room ... its a lot easier and uses no resources :p :D

Posted by SPeedY_B
Nice, it may possibly just be hauppauge cards that dislike everything :p
On the official site it basically says unless you have an intel mobo you're stuffed.
But i've never known anyone to have a different brand of TV Card.
Personaly i've just moved my TV into this room ... its a lot easier and uses no resources :p :D

lol... you know what? I had the same problem with a hauppage card... it is not a faulty card or anything else though m8... it is simply the way it interacts with your computer.. depends which pci slot it is in... IRQ conflicts cause the blue screens... just move it to another PCI slot or play around with your hardware configuration (pci cards in the slots) and you should be fine...

to the original question... get an ati all in wonder card or a tv tuner card from them or from MSI... even the digital cards from Hauppage are good....

[edit] sorry realised you are in the UK might still get same products there though... check it out[/edit]

I also saw this card... nice deal with a remote :)

tv tuner card

I installed an ATI All-in-Wonder 7500 about a year ago and it's worked very well with my AMD XP1800 and MSI K7T266 mobo.
My old bedroom TV is now collecting dust because my 17" monitor is much sharper - plus I can record shows even when I'm not around with a simple mouse click. It's also nice to have a small screen playing CNN in my browser while I browse or chat. I've never tried a PCI TV tuner card so I don't know about what kind of conflicts that causes. I use Logitech z560 speakers and along with my remote, I have a complete entertainment/ information system at my fingertips. I would definitely recommend integrating TV with your PC. With the right homework and driver updates you should have no problem so long as you have a reasonably fast system.

Posted by segamil
I installed an ATI All-in-Wonder 7500 about a year ago and it's worked very well with my AMD XP1800 and MSI K7T266 mobo.
My old bedroom TV is now collecting dust because my 17" monitor is much sharper - plus I can record shows even when I'm not around with a simple mouse click. It's also nice to have a small screen playing CNN in my browser while I browse or chat. I've never tried a PCI TV tuner card so I don't know about what kind of conflicts that causes. I use Logitech z560 speakers and along with my remote, I have a complete entertainment/ information system at my fingertips. I would definitely recommend integrating TV with your PC. With the right homework and driver updates you should have no problem so long as you have a reasonably fast system.

thats what I do basically... one of my monitors is dedicated to multimedia... the other I work on... gives me a ton of joy... sharpness is brilliant and functionality is great too :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back