to wait... or not to wait

Black-Syth

Comalies
Im wondering if i should build a pc now... putting into consideration i can purcase the "high-end" AKA barton, 9800pro etc etc. or should i wait for athlon 64, and/or prescott to build a pc?

Originally posted by black-syth
Im wondering if i should build a pc now... putting into consideration i can purcase the "high-end" AKA barton, 9800pro etc etc. or should i wait for athlon 64, and/or prescott to build a pc?

whats wrong with your current system ?

it is more than adequate to run many of today's games as well as many of the games coming out in the next few months...

I recommend waiting for the new athlon64's and nv35/r400 chipsets to hit the market and see what they bring to the table before even considering upgrades...

along with sazar, I wouldn't do any upgrades that are not neccssary...hang

black-syth, if you got money to burn then can i have some :D so i can upgrade my pc ;)

but seriously, im with Sazer and dealer here, i dont really think you need to upgrade at all.. as you can see my specs (below), i can still run pretty new software/games. Obviously i cant run on high end graphics thanx to my GeForce 2 MX400 but it does the job just as well and it will keep me happy until Xmas inwhich i will definatly be upgrading :D

So all i would recommend it wait alittle longer :cool:

And you are definatly lucky if you have money to burn like that :cool: hehe

Sincerly Alex:cool:

no, see... you misunderstood me. I need to build another PC... the one i have is fine, and if my PIII can run anything... so can this one 3 years from now. I was wondering if i should hold out those few months to build it, or not. I need a 3rd pc, because my PIII is getting dated... the girlfriend gets naggy... "youve been on there all day... i want to go on!!!" etc etc etc....

EDIT- BTW, who said anything about upgrading? LOL!

I've considered building an additional box for the past few months. But every time I buckle down and sort out my parts list, a new board, processor or soon to be released major hardware component is announced.

Yes, this is the industry and it'll continue to produce faster than anyone can build, but I've decided to wait for the technology lull before investing. Every blue moon or so, the industry has to pause to reflect on its innovation, progress and Mistake$. I've found that 2-3 month period to be the best time to scratch-build. :)

no, see... you misunderstood me. I need to build another PC... the one i have is fine, and if my PIII can run anything... so can this one 3 years from now. I was wondering if i should hold out those few months to build it, or not. I need a 3rd pc, because my PIII is getting dated... the girlfriend gets naggy... "youve been on there all day... i want to go on!!!" etc etc etc....

EDIT- BTW, who said anything about upgrading? LOL!

wait for a bit...

if she just uses the pIII 500... clean up the computer to speed it up some.. if she is just using the internet... and let it be...

wait a few months... the new bartons and athlon64's will drive down prices on the amd side and the new prescott cores will drive down intel prices...

then you can go ahead and build... :)

Originally posted by Sazar
wait for a bit...

if she just uses the pIII 500... clean up the computer to speed it up some.. if she is just using the internet... and let it be...

wait a few months... the new bartons and athlon64's will drive down prices on the amd side and the new prescott cores will drive down intel prices...

then you can go ahead and build... :)

thats what i was thinking about doing... just not positive. Rest assured that your opinion counts.... thanks... :p :D

She is an avid gamer.... so... i dunno, we'll see how things work out....

overclock the p3. i got a celeron 500 up to a stable and cool 900.

the girlfriend gets naggy... "youve been on there all day... i want to go on!!!" etc etc etc....
Sounds like you can't afford to wait. :eek: :p

The Athlon 64 can take time btw. Releases are usually postponed many times (as we all know).

Am I reading this right ? Geforce 4 MX420 (332mhz core, 443Mhz mem) 443 mem ?

Originally posted by silky62678
Am I reading this right ? Geforce 4 MX420 (332mhz core, 443Mhz mem) 443 mem ?

yep... thats my old card... i used powerstrip 3... and thats as high as powerstrip went...

Oh God! I just looked at your system spec's....

Build one now. The 64 bit software and programs is probably 2 years away.

You can put together a middle of the line system now for $600 and upgrade as any new stuff comes on line or or spend $1000 for today's top of the line.

Note that the people who put together top of the line last fall with 9700 pro and 3 gig proc's are still waiting for something to run on it.

yep... thats my old card... i used powerstrip 3... and thats as high as powerstrip went...
I have that same card. Is powerstrip 3 a overclocking program ?

Originally posted by silky62678
I have that same card. Is powerstrip 3 a overclocking program ?

Yep... the site got it from is www.ocinside.de

just go to downloads and you'll find it along with a bunch of other useful programs and apps...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back