To Vista or not ?

Punkychan

OSNN Addict
Pardon me to ask this sort of question.With all the feedbacks we can read on the net , I am a bit confused whether to Vista or not.I know my PC specs is more than enough for Vista , I uses more for e mails, surfing and work , doesn't play games on it.Only always concern regarding speed , though I have 2 Gbs of memory running on P4 3.4 GHz.
I just want to hear some opinions.If its good I would purchase the Ultimate , if so..so...I would rather stick to my ol' XP.:)

Vista is far from complete. If all you do is surf the net, check your email and work, then Ultimate would be a gigantic waste of $400.

I am liking it so far.

It's smooth, fast, definitely has some bugs but c'est la vie.

You deal with it.

I am dual-booting at the moment so if you want to get the most out of your system, stick to XP Pro or whatever else you might have.

Otherwise go Vista.

Fwiw, Vista runs smoother and faster than XP on my system, and I haven't even formatted and optimized everything.

If all you hardware works with vista use vista. Very few people have valid reasons to not use it. The two posts above sazar are essentially repeating the FUD that clueless journalists are spreading these days.

So why spend $400 on an OS when XP works just fine?

You're just repeating the MS talking points and again offering no actual substantial reasons to upgrade.

Is security your answer? Cancel or allow?

I have many games from WIN 98 era that would not run on XP no matter what compatibility setting I tried. These games run perfectly on Vista and this is without setting any compatibility. That for me was one big reason to dump XP.

Woaa....now I'm seeing opinions...it's not the money matter.It's about whether hardwares works or not , smooth operations of applications , though I have another pc running on Vista Business but had problems with Nero and MPEG to DVD maker...keep in coming guys...before I invest my good 'ol 400$ !!

Seems like you've already made your choice.

Basically...if you're satisfied with what you already have, then I don't see a reason for the upgrade.

Potentially, your system could run better on Vista, but you'd need to invest some time and money to find out.

Me personally, I don't have a lot of time or money right now, so I'm sticking with XP. :p

Well there are a lot of hardware and software incompatibilities at this time with Vista no matter what certain voices here would like you to believe. I will not go on as I am not allowed to discuss Vista in a bad light at this forum. The "powers that be" are very pro-MS so you might want to get an unbiased opinion elsewhere.

I will not go on as I am not allowed to discuss Vista in a bad light at this forum. The "powers that be" are very pro-MS so you might want to get an unbiased opinion elsewhere.

LOL dude, you're seeing things the way you think they are. It's cool, you can think the way you want to think :cool:

Okay...then I will have one pc running Vista and one running XP Pro.I'll get back to you all in 6 months and see what differences so I get....thank you all for postings..:)

Well there are a lot of hardware and software incompatibilities at this time with Vista no matter what certain voices here would like you to believe. I will not go on as I am not allowed to discuss Vista in a bad light at this forum. The "powers that be" are very pro-MS so you might want to get an unbiased opinion elsewhere.

j79zlr, please present evidence as to the "powers that be are very pro-MS" and therefore are supposedly providing a biased opinion.

If you cannot, please kindly stop spreading crap.

Fortunately for punky, there are a good number of seasoned users on this board with relatively mission critical hardware that happens to be running Vista and running it well. If you think that this real-world experience somehow translates to a biased opinion, that is your mis-guided perogative.

If you would like to provide your first-hand experience using Vista (the final release) and it's features and your actual issues with it to off-set that of other ACTUAL users, kindly do so.

Naturally a lot of businesses are not jumping on Vista, but this is to be expected. Unfortunately a lot of professional apps and hardware simply don't have the appropriate patches and drivers to run smoothly. This was the case with XP when first released too.

Coming back to your posts j79zlr. Feel free to express your opinions but in this section, at least try and back it up with facts. Your repeated posts blaming various mods for being unfairly pro-MS and so forth is both unfair and incorrect. I have a good mind to start deleting these crap posts since they provide absolutely nothing to the discussion. If you are able to substantiate your posts like others are able to, feel free to do so, otherwise please refrain.

So why spend $400 on an OS when XP works just fine?

You're just repeating the MS talking points and again offering no actual substantial reasons to upgrade.

Is security your answer? Cancel or allow?

You dont you spend $100 on OEM editions.

I'm not repeating MS marketing either., I'm going from personal experience of myself, 4 other family members and stating the very simple fact that if everything you use hardware wise works (you can use the upgrade advisor to find out). Then there is absolutely no reason not to upgrade to vista as a home user.

If you are a business and your specialst hardware and/or software are not certified or vista doesn't satisfy yet any in-house testing procedures then you have a valid case against early-adoption of vista.

I have many games from WIN 98 era that would not run on XP no matter what compatibility setting I tried. These games run perfectly on Vista and this is without setting any compatibility. That for me was one big reason to dump XP.

Can you list a few of those? I'd be interested in going back to some of my old games that didn't work well on XP :)

I am amazed that every time we have this debate it always comes up that Ultimate is $400.00! OMFG! $400.00! NO WAY!

My response: BIG DEAL!

Firstly, you are not locked in and you do not have to spend $400.00 for the operating system. Ultimate is a "special edition" per say that includes everything. You can buy Home Premium (if you want to run a version similar to XP Home with the bonus of MCE) or Business (if you want to run a version similar to XP Professional with the bonus of Tablet).

What most fail to understand is that you get a lot more when compared to XP.

Secondly, why is it that $400.00 is a lot of money for an OS? I don't get it? Simply put, it's not. You can't run any software without it. In early February I spent $800.00 for Creative Suite 2.3 Premium. Now that software is worthless to me without an OS. A few weeks ago you (yeah, you know who) made a claim that Autodesk (which by the way, isn't Microsoft's fault) didn’t have a compatible version of AutoCAD which costs multiple times larger than the OS, but you can’t run it without the OS.

And again, you don’t need the $400.00 version of Vista to run that software.

Punkychan, as its been said: There are a many great enhancements that make the experience much more enjoyable. There are bugs, but nothing is perfect, not even me. There will always be bugs even after SP1.

Yo !! guys...thansk for all the word.So stop debating , maybe it was my fault for wanting to know whether it is worth it or not ...just a final word : I am on my way to get the Vista !!
Alas...if I don't like it I can just turn back to XP isn't it ? :p

lol, I would just dual-boot buddy :D

I am and I think I will continue to do so for a few more months till everything just works.

I wish the other companies were more pro-active about updating.

Can you list a few of those?

So far mostly pinball games:

Balls of Steel
Big Race USA
Devils Island
Fantastic Journey
Timeshock

I am amazed that every time we have this debate it always comes up that Ultimate is $400.00! OMFG! $400.00! NO WAY!
I think people should remember that when you purchase Ultimate you get both 32 and 64 bit DVD's in the box.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back