To Vista or not ?

That is my point exactly. Some people don't want the "fun" of working with beta drivers that crash and hardware/software that doesn't work completely. Maybe that should be pointed out when someone asks if they should "upgrade" to Vista?

I have just installed Vista this week and I think it's great. Most of the new features are awesome and it's much nicer to use than XP. However, if someone asked me if it's worth upgrading yet, I would definitely say no. Like EP, I quite like sorting through computer problems (when it turns out ok at least!) and now it's running very well, just a couple of minor glitches left. But I appreciate that most people just want their OS to run smoothly and be problem free. If that's the case, most people should wait another 3 or 4 months IMO.

I say its too early to go to Vista, and stay away from 64bit unless your 100% sure you have drivers for all your stuff.

I say its too early to go to Vista, and stay away from 64bit unless your 100% sure you have drivers for all your stuff.

Where's the fun in that :cool:

Come on kermit, you KNOW there's a rush in using something w/o knowing if it's gonna crash or not :smoker:

Depends on the person using it for me I dont mind the troubles but 99% of users are in trouble to start with, they have a hard time making XP work properly and its SP2 .

I have not had one single problem with Vista.
FWIW, apart from that one annoying WGA bug that I resolved with a driver rollback, I haven't had any problems either. In fact, things got really good post-RC2 for me, so I knew I wouldn't run into any roadblocks with RTM unless some odd regressions cropped up.

Maybe we're just special. :cool: :lick:

I haven't had any problems either, the only problems I have had of late are hardware related and not tied to drivers. My PC is kind of on it's last leg.

Here is a good example you spent a ton of cash for SLI .. dont go Vista

You like to game on your rig for now dont go Vista

You use alot of video/music editing and buring software be wary of Vista

You email chat and surf who cares use anything .

I've had annoying problems. Like Windows Explorer forgetting folder settings (this annoys me the most) and the Bluetooth icon re-appearing in the notification area everytime I eject a CD or plug in my external hard drive.

Vista is working great for me. Most the people that say its no good are the people that have no used it.

noobies

...and the Bluetooth icon re-appearing in the notification area everytime I eject a CD or plug in my external hard drive.
Haha. That's a weird one. :D

With that said, I've never been very happy with the state of Bluetooth on Windows. It improved a bit with XP SP2, but it's still not very good. I'm glad I don't need to use it anymore. It's one of those things that OS X handles much better, I think.

Last edited:
I am not saying it is no good I am saying there are problems people will run in to and most people have no idea what to do when they hit these problems, I am not talking about the pimple faced geeks that live at the computer desk , I am talking about Mr and Mrs everybody ...

One problem I have is sound settings Vista refuses to keep my mic adjustments for one, two is the way the usb ports die coming back from hibernation, there are other things like no drivers for certain things all normal and to be expected , in the work place we are going no where near Vista or Office 2007 for a long time yet.

nope. only nvidia cos they dropped the ball. Their Beta SLI drivers are out now though.

As for the "Mr and Mrs everybody" having issues. My Mom has no problems. I've not had any phone calls asking how to do something in vista, I used to get a fair few when she was using XP.

Hey we all get calls I just got one from a guy who bought his PC with Vista he hates it and wants me to flush it and use XP ... and I dont expect the people from around here to worry about little problems and games run slower and choppy and have troubles but they will be worked out with time.

I have to say, that I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate right now, and I think it's pretty nice. I postponed running it since before release because I received Ultimate for free from MS for beta testing. I waited until all of my pieces of hardware had drivers released from their respective manufacturers like my 7800GTX, or my Logitech Keyboard/Mouse, or my X-Fi card.

There are a few annoyances. Such as the overprotective administrative privileges alerts. I understand these are for your protection, but for a general user, these would be very frustrating.

A few of my programs don't work fully because they are not vista capable. But I can still use them enough to where I can overlook the features that don't work. (ISOBUSTER, WINRAR)

Some of the icons for programs look bad because the MS-Vista icons look great because they used a much larger pixel rate to make their icons look better. Overall, I would feel that the common user would not need Ultimate. Vista Premium or even Basic might be a better suited OS for them, unless they wanted the benefits of Media Center and whatnot. But you will pay a premium for those features.

If you're looking for 100% stability, stay with Windows XP or another OS. Not all of the hardware has up to date vista drivers yet so in theory, they might not be that stable.

Vista is working great for me. Most the people that say its no good are the people that have no used it.

noobies

I wont use it because every rig i own is SLI ..and vista won't run it ... 2nd ..i find all the HDCP ..and DRM crap super-embedded in Windose past the point of annoying. I don't feel i should spend MY MONEY on hardware to run the excess processing and memory allocation associated with DRM and HDCP. Microsoft seems to have forgotten its roots ... which is to create OS's ..not total dictation on what i can and cant do on MY OWN MACHINE which I PAID FOR with MY MONEY. I dont care if its .00001% of my processing capability ..or even .000001% of my memory allocation ..its still something that is totally unnecessary for an OS to operate. THey should do the right thing and ask the simple question ..or have the simple option "start using DRM" and then get into a huge explation as to what it is...scroll down after reading ..and then hit yes or no. I bet there ae zillions of people that aren't even aware of DRM ..and what its capable of ...and where its going. anyway ... i might use it if that simple option was added. Of course i would not activate the DRM.

I can understand the HDCP in some regard ..but the DRM .. Microsoft has absolutely ZERO BUISINESS meddling in this ever-growing super-important and even the precedent setting method of being big brother.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back