to save yourself when heart attack, true of false?

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
this is going around, have not snoped it yet, it looks like a good idea to me, do you think it works?

no snopes allowed yet;

Because I care, I want you to know what to do;

What are you to do if you have a heart attack While you are alone.
If you've already received this, It means people care about you.
The Johnson City Medical Center staff actually Discovered this and did an in-depth study On it in our ICU. The two individuals that discovered this then did
An article on it, had it published and have had it incorporated into ACLS and CPR classes. It is very true and has and does work. It is called cough CPR.
A cardiologist says it's the truth If everyone who gets this sends it to 10 people, You can bet that we'll save at least one life. It could save your life!

Let's say it's 6:15 p.m. And you're driving home (alone of course), after an usually hard day on the job. You're really tired, upset and frustrated.
Suddenly you start experiencing severe pain In your chest that starts to radiate out Into your arm and up into your jaw. You are only about five miles from the hospital Nearest your home. Unfortunately you don't know if you'll be
Able to make it that far. What can you do? You've been trained in CPR
But the guy that taught the course didn't tell You what to do if it happened to yourself.

Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack, this article seemed to be in order. Without help, the person whose heart is beating improperly and who begins to feel faint, Has only about 10 seconds left before losing consciousness.
However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously. A deep breath should be taken before each Cough, and the cough must be deep And prolonged, as when producing sputum From deep inside the chest.
A breath and a cough must be repeated About every two seconds without let up
Until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating normally again.
Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements squeeze the heart and Keep the blood circulating.The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it regain normal rhythm. In this way, heart attack victims can get to a hospital.
Tell as many other people as possible about this, it could save their lives!
From Health Cares, Rochester General Hospital via Chapter 240s newsletter 'AND THE BEAT GOES ON

my guess is it works (goes to snopes after posting guess)

If it comes to you via email it's 99.999999999% false usually. :) If it's health related it's most certainly 100%.

that's an interesting snopes, it decides "false" at the top but then goes on to say it is in fact true

"true" if done correctly, but could possibly turn a mild heart attack into severe

Dr. Richard O. Cummins, Seattle's director of emergency cardiac care, explains that cough CPR raises the pressure in the chest just enough to maintain some circulation of oxygen-containing blood and help enough get to the brain to maintain consciousness for a prolonged period. But cough CPR should be used only by a person about to lose consciousness, an indication of cardiac arrest, he cautions. <B>It can be dangerous for someone having a heart attack that does not result in cardiac arrest.</B> Such a person should call for help and then sit quietly until help arrives, he says.
<BR><BR>
In other words, the procedure might be the right thing to attempt or it might be the very thing that would kill the afflicted depending on which sort of cardiac crisis is being experienced.

I am going with "possibly true", this is definately not "false"

clearly, if you think you are going to faint this is the right proceedure, if you think you can remain awake it is not the right proceedure

I've never fainted but I know those who have and very few have said that they could feel it coming. So I don't know how you'd have the capacity to know it was coming and perform this. I think that's why it was called fake, too many variables for it to be a consistent life saving measure.

I see that was post number 12k. Grats to you sir! I'd give you rep on the number but as per usual I have to spread it around first.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back