To Comcast or Not To Comcast ??

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political Access
On tuesday August first Adelphia will officially be comcast. I am thinking about trying it out in my area. I was going to try the phone service, internet service, and television service. Anyone have any complaints about them and think I should stick with dish network and dsl, or do you think think they rox and I should go with comcast ???

Last edited:
Don't know about the phone service as I only have TV and Internet.

TV works great and Internet speeds are normally about what you see below.

Download Speed: 8141 kbps (1017.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 342 kbps (42.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Your post made me happy, actually. I had no idea that the craptastic monopoly of Adelphia in my area was going to comcast. Like American Zombie said, their rates are ridiculously fast. They kept increasing speed without increasing my bill when I lived in California.

If you want to be slick about it, you can call them and try to get a promotional rate. I did that last year and got my 6Mbit connection locked in at $30 per month for six months.

I would recommend Comcast, but I have to admit I am a little biased because I don't have any other options for high speed since I can't get DSL where I live, and Satelitte is plain and simple not cost effective.

That being said, their CSR's are great in the sense that there isn't a long wait time, if you tell them what you have tried already they more than likely will believe you and skip past all of it.

One thing I would recommend though, pay the extra 3-5 bucks a month to lease the modem rather than buying. This way if it craps the bed they will replace it.

I don't have their telephone service, but I do have their TV (no phone needed, use cell phone for my condo). I have heard that they will give you a fit of trouble if you try to run a VoIP provider from their network, such as Vonage. They try to monopolize everything, which is probably why they took over Adelphia.

Yeah, you can get that easily.
My Connection speed is 9mbps.
But thats because i have the telephone service.
I also have digital cable with the HD service.

From my experience i recommend Comcast over Verizon ro anyone else.
24/7 customer service, and the tech people come when they are needed.

The fast speeds make up for the cost, and the telephone service, for me is 20-30 bucks less than verizons.

In my opinion, get it.
You having the phone has nothing do with your 9mbps, everyone should have the potential of 16mbps. If you are achieving slightly higher, like your 9 versus AZ's 8+, it is probably because he has more traffic on his node than you.

On tuesday August first Adelphia will officially be comcast. I am thinking about trying it out in my area. I was going to try the phone service, internet service, and television service. Anyone have any complaints about them and think I should stick with dish network and dsl, or do you think think they rox and I should go with comcast ???
Hey Johnny,
Comcast in my area of Indianapolis, has a deal of $90.00 a month for one year if you get all three services, I was told that the cable moden is a bit speed and strong system, like kcnycief stated get there moden, in 5 years I had one take dump on me, and the signal was bad, strong but bad. Whatever they offer you just tell them you heard some other has it better or something and if your area is trying to build there base fast, they will give you pretty good deals.

Good Advice,
Back to the modem thing.
Take the modem they offer, rent it.
Cause i had one of theirs crap out (stupid shark fin one). and they came right out and fixed it.
I believe Motorola Surfboard would be the proper name for that ;)

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Download Connection is:: 12601 Kbps about 12.6 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)
Download Speed is:: 1538 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Server 2)
Test Time:: 2006/07/31 - 8:11pm
Bottom Line:: 220X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.67 sec
Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 7.905 seconds to complete
Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 135.44 % faster than the average for host (comcast.net)
D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-9XCDIFLU4
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.5) Gecko/20060729 Firefox/1.5.0.5 [!]

Upload is not so great though:

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::
Upload Connection is:: 377 Kbps about 0.38 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)
Upload Speed is:: 46 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Server 1)
Test Time:: 2006/07/31 - 8:12pm
Bottom Line:: 7X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 22.26 sec
Tested from a 1013 kB file and took 22.008 seconds to complete
Upload Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 88.29 % of your hosts average (comcast.net)
U-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-F84O5197X
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.5) Gecko/20060729 Firefox/1.5.0.5 [!]

The Shark fin is 3 Com. Junk!

I work for Mediacom, We will swap it (if it is ours) for free as well.

The Com 21 modem is junk as well by the way.

Thanx for the info all. I am going to try them out and see what they are like. It will be another ten years before FIOS is available in my area, otherwise I would get it really fast.

Thanx for the info all. I am going to try them out and see what they are like. It will be another ten years before FIOS is available in my area, otherwise I would get it really fast.
Johnny,
There's a bad side that pay that bill, and the way to up there prices a least once a year, but have the speed of the cable is better than dail up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back