Tivo..the steup

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
Well being told this is the best thread for this, here i go. I want my own tivo. My family has direct tv and i know i can connect tivo to direct tv, but will my tivo act as my reciever as well as my tivo, so i wont need two boxes? There is a fee for tivo which im aware of, but does direct tv have a fee as well? Tivo is running a killer deal and a dual tunner 80 hour box for like $30 online...

The directTV/Tivo boxes that Direct gives their customers are special boxes that decode as well as record. The regular Tivo boxes do not decode, so you would need two boxes if you bought just the vanilla Tivo.

On a side note, Tivo is going to be offering their boxes for free to new customers. The catch is that you pay $5 more per month for the service.

Do the math, and its a pretty good deal.

I stand corrected, the 40 hour box is free with 19.99/ Month suscription for a year. All the other ones have low base costs. $30 for the 80 hour DT, and $180 for the DVD-R version.

I dont have Direct TV myself, but their decoders cant be to big... its a pretty simple device. Would it be a huge inconvience to have two boxes setup?

no not at all, even though there are two boxes, it would all be controlled by the tivo right, that was the question i had which i should have asked...

yes you can set the tivo up to run the Sat box.

Yes. the wire from the dish goes into the sat. then the out to tv would go to the tivo then from the tivo to the tv. if you use coaxial wire for the connections. then there are IR receivers that come from the tivo. put those in front of the ir sensor on the sat (may have to play around to find it). go through the set up on the tivo and you can then use it to control the sat.

I think he already has the tivo though

i havent got the tivo yet, but by the way it sounds, i may go with the directtv dvr...we wills ee how it pans out(always wanted to say that)....

That would definately be the easiest to hook up.

Easiest yes, but TIVO does so much more than that does (if you get down and dirty and program it).... I'd go for a TIVO if Lord did not insist on our SKY+ option.... :p

(Sky bought out TIVO makers - so you can no longer get TIVOs by the way!)

it's very interesting - can I have one? ;)

I was probably talking about Europe only then I guess!

We cannot buy them over here.....

A friend of mine knows the whole story (Zen0) on OSNN - I'll link him here and he may post....

don't we all EP, don't we all?

You should talk to Lord abot pricing by the way - he was telling me something interesting about his saving scheme and prices last night - weirdly it was connected to football! I think you can work it out - though this is really going OT I'm not averse to the odd thread hijack!

Mainframeguy said:
Easiest yes, but TIVO does so much more than that does (if you get down and dirty and program it).... I'd go for a TIVO if Lord did not insist on our SKY+ option.... :p

(Sky bought out TIVO makers - so you can no longer get TIVOs by the way!)

You're forgetting the KISS rule, Keep It Simple Stupid. I think if you were to go the Tivo way you would be stuck watching what you're recording (unless you got the Tivo it's own sat box, and if you go that route why not just get a DVR from the sat company with a dual tuner?)

Think about it! :p

I think ill see what kind of deal i can get from direct tv, if its a good deal, ill get it. Tivo whats $20 bucks a month and direct tv adds $5 on top of that

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back