Tired of waiting

N

noah472

I have a problem, (as most will know from reading my posts ;) )

I have win XP installed on a 10 gig partition of my 40 gig IBM deskstar 7200 rpm
When it is just win XP (no apps or proggies installed at all) installed it boots up very quickly and you are able to use the computer without any probs.

I installed Norton system works onto a clean install of win XP and it boots up without any probs and loads the anti virus, now here is the interesting bit, it takes another minute at least (normally more like two or three) before the firewall will load and you are able to use the computer without any probs, until that you can open a few things (heven help you if you try to open a proggie as the firewall kicks in!!!). I have checked the processes you can see when the firwall and stuff kicks in. I also have two MSN messenger icons on startup!!? once you drop your mouse over the top one of them disappears as you would expect if the proggie wasnt supposed to be running or working properly) . I have checked and can only see one instance of msn messenger process running.

I have also had this problem with AVG anti virus and panda anti virus software (using zone alarm firewall) and they take the same amount of time to start on boot up. This is the first time taht i have seen this prob with a firewall as before it was just the anti virus taht was taking ages although zone alarm was working fine an dloading straight away. As i said before this has been a clean install of XP on fri night and i havent installed and uninstalled anti AV's or firwalls or indeed anything at all.

Any ideas?

Originally posted by noah472
I have a problem, (as most will know from reading my posts ;) )

I have win XP installed on a 10 gig partition of my 40 gig IBM deskstar 7200 rpm
When it is just win XP (no apps or proggies installed at all) installed it boots up very quickly and you are able to use the computer without any probs.

I installed Norton system works onto a clean install of win XP and it boots up without any probs and loads the anti virus, now here is the interesting bit, it takes another minute at least (normally more like two or three) before the firewall will load and you are able to use the computer without any probs, until that you can open a few things (heven help you if you try to open a proggie as the firewall kicks in!!!). I have checked the processes you can see when the firwall and stuff kicks in. I also have two MSN messenger icons on startup!!? once you drop your mouse over the top one of them disappears as you would expect if the proggie wasnt supposed to be running or working properly) . I have checked and can only see one instance of msn messenger process running.

I have also had this problem with AVG anti virus and panda anti virus software (using zone alarm firewall) and they take the same amount of time to start on boot up. This is the first time taht i have seen this prob with a firewall as before it was just the anti virus taht was taking ages although zone alarm was working fine an dloading straight away. As i said before this has been a clean install of XP on fri night and i havent installed and uninstalled anti AV's or firwalls or indeed anything at all.

Any ideas?

I uninstalled Norton Firewall. Was hogging my cpu for some reason. Installed Zone Alarm instead and no problems so far. With Norton's Antivirus, is it really needed at bootup? If not shut it off and turn it on when you need it. That is what I do. Couldn't tell you about anything else.

Its not really an issue of wether or not it is required, i want to know why it is loading slow and also why it is the same on three different "protection" softwares.....thats why i posted the question but thanks for the reply anyway :)

COuldn't tell you why. I know NAV would bootup fine on 2k. No lag or slowness, but 2002 I have the problem. Blah@newer software.

Norton Firewall also loaded slow, and hogged the CPU for me after I installed some of the latest security updates. I cant tell you which caused it, but I think thats what did it. I uninstalled it and installed ZA Pro also. I think theres a problem that Symantec needs to update.

Not sure if this answers your question. Give a holler here if it doesnt.

Yeah Speed. It ran fine at first, then a couple days later it hogged my cpu. Making everything run slow. I threw it out the window. Zone seems to be the way to go and seems they have improved it alot.

I think part if it might be the script blocking that Norton Firewall uses. I dont think it gets along with something, either the MS VM, or an update.

I agree, ZA works much better...

Cheers guys, i think i will keep my eyes open for any updates and just put up with it for the moment, its just funny that I have only had this problem with these typers of software. i will try a few things and post if i find anything interesting, cheers

:) :p

its just funny that I have only had this problem with these typers of software.

I can mention plenty of programs that will give you similiar problems if you wish...

:D :D

<cough> Almost any Norton Product <cough>

<cough> " " Roxio " <cough><HACK!>

<...wheez...>

<cough cough> XP indexing <COUGH!>

<...whew...>

I could probably find more later, but I think I'll step out and have a smoke if you dont mind...

Originally posted by Speed4Ever
<cough> Almost any Norton Product <cough>

<cough> " " Roxio " <cough><HACK!>

<...wheez...>

<cough cough> XP indexing <COUGH!>

<...whew...>

I could probably find more later, but I think I'll step out and have a smoke if you dont mind...

XP indexing? Runs fine for me :p

I had to uninstall Roxio....something about something couldn't be found or some shit like that. Anyways it kept telling me that there were no audio files in my mp3 folder. :mad: P.O.S. program

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back