tired of restarting after changing reg to apply settings???? Tip inside

A

AmarSingh

If you are like me you are tired of restarting the computer everytime you make a registry change. Well this should be a way around that. When you have make your changes to the registry, open task manager (ctrl-alt-del) and click the processes tab. Hilight explorer and click end process. Then go file->new task, type explorer and press enter. The registry should be reloaded without a complete restart. Make sure you save your data in open programs before doing this though. ;)

HAH ... excellent TIP

thanks ...... it drives me insane booting every time i use a reg file to tweak things#

NICE tip !!

Note that this works, but is less than friendly to your stability. And it's just plain mean to your computer's stability :D
/Lactic

Originally posted by Lactic.Acid
Note that this works, but is less than friendly to your stability. And it's just plain mean to your computer's stability :D
/Lactic
care to explain?

I gues latic we're old fashion in our ways --keep it simple is my motto asks for a reboot then just reboot the f@#ker...

Originally posted by AmarSingh
care to explain?

Note that this works, but is less than friendly to your stability. As in YOUR [mental] stability And it's just plain mean to your computer's stability as in the ability for your computer to not crash, die and go up in flames (BSOD).
/Lactic

If you wanted a real explanation, what you're doing is restarting explore.exe, which is the GUI .exe file that you use to interface with XP. You're ripping the rug from under some of your application's virtual feet. XP and your apps don't like that. Generally you're best off just rebooting the damn thing. There's nothing you HAD to do in those two minutes that couldn't wait.

mmm....

Doesn't always work either....

Try uninstalling a Norton app the re-installing it, it won't do nowt till you re-boot :mad:

i wouldnt use it if i had installed a new app and it asked me to restart. I would actually restart cuz sometimes it needs to replace files that are in use and delete temp files when you restart. I would only use it say if i changed something minor in the registry like a UI think and didnt want to restart. Wow...never thought i could say restart so many times in one sentance:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back