tired of restarting after changing reg to apply settings???? Tip inside

A

AmarSingh

If you are like me you are tired of restarting the computer everytime you make a registry change. Well this should be a way around that. When you have make your changes to the registry, open task manager (ctrl-alt-del) and click the processes tab. Hilight explorer and click end process. Then go file->new task, type explorer and press enter. The registry should be reloaded without a complete restart. Make sure you save your data in open programs before doing this though. ;)

M

max

HAH ... excellent TIP

thanks ...... it drives me insane booting every time i use a reg file to tweak things#

NICE tip !!

L

Lactic.Acid

Note that this works, but is less than friendly to your stability. And it's just plain mean to your computer's stability :D
/Lactic

A

AmarSingh

Originally posted by Lactic.Acid
Note that this works, but is less than friendly to your stability. And it's just plain mean to your computer's stability :D
/Lactic
care to explain?

phishhead

OSNN Senior Addict
I gues latic we're old fashion in our ways --keep it simple is my motto asks for a reboot then just reboot the f@#ker...

L

Lactic.Acid

Originally posted by AmarSingh
care to explain?
Note that this works, but is less than friendly to your stability. As in YOUR [mental] stability And it's just plain mean to your computer's stability as in the ability for your computer to not crash, die and go up in flames (BSOD).
/Lactic

If you wanted a real explanation, what you're doing is restarting explore.exe, which is the GUI .exe file that you use to interface with XP. You're ripping the rug from under some of your application's virtual feet. XP and your apps don't like that. Generally you're best off just rebooting the damn thing. There's nothing you HAD to do in those two minutes that couldn't wait.

R

robin.munro

mmm....

Doesn't always work either....

Try uninstalling a Norton app the re-installing it, it won't do nowt till you re-boot :mad:

A

AmarSingh

i wouldnt use it if i had installed a new app and it asked me to restart. I would actually restart cuz sometimes it needs to replace files that are in use and delete temp files when you restart. I would only use it say if i changed something minor in the registry like a UI think and didnt want to restart. Wow...never thought i could say restart so many times in one sentance:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Where are you buddy? :(
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Plesuvius