Tiny Personal Firewall

Infinite0

Universal Translator
hey guys, i was just searching for an answer to a firewall question. i am connected over a LAN at school. i d/l a copy of Tiny Personal Firewall with WinME. i upgraded to XP about 4 months ago. i noticed that after every 20 hours (or so) i would have to reboot because i could not connect to the internet anymore (IM services, IE etc.)

anyways, i had the firewall on the "alert me" setting, not blocking all incoming stuff. i could not fgure out what was wrong, my LAN status said i was still connected. i rebooted my computer just yesterday and turned off and deleted Tiny.

no problems, been connected for over 24 hours.

wha?:confused:
thoughts?

p.s. trying zonealarm now.

i had the same problem. i think what happened in my case is i made a choice not to accept some nebulous packet. i deleted the installation folder after uninstalling it and reinstalled it. i have been able to consistantly connect since then. if you just reinstall it, it remembers all yr old settings so its not really that effective unless you totally nuke it

Ever since I first upgraded to XP from Win98 I had continuous connection problems with my internet service. Got a connection, but the browser said it couldn't find the server. I was using Zonealarm 2.6. Ever since I changed over to Tiny Personal Firewall I've had no connection problems.

I wonder if since you're having the same problem with opposite apps, maybe the problem lies deeper than the firewall, maybe something with the OS configuration?

By the way, I connect through a dial up connection with Earthlink.

Tiny (Kerio) Personal Firewall

If you are on a cable connection the three things you can't block re your connection are:
1. DNS (UDP both direction)
2. Generic Host Process for Windows (UDP/TCP out)
3. Reply from DHCP

All the other services/processes that are listed once you install can be blocked.

Re: Tiny (Kerio) Personal Firewall

Originally posted by Sage
If you are on a cable connection the three things you can't block re your connection are:
1. DNS (UDP both direction)
3. Reply from DHCP

All the other services/processes that are listed once you install can be blocked.

i know it was not that b/c i had the same settings on Tiny when I had WinME. i did not have the same problems with being cut off. i could leave my computer on for 5 days and have no connection problems.

i just had a brainstorm last nite, you know, one of those things that is so obvious you never think of it, "could it be the firewall?" and here i was getting ready to rip out my ethernet card and start from scratch. aieee.

funny how me and nevade had simliar problems.:p
now that it works i dont much wanna search around too much for why it went screwy. (i was most concerned b/c I crunch for seti@home and I couldnt leave my computer alone for several days!

thanks for your help, all.

Trying to figure out if you tried to close the fire wall and if you did, did you still not have connection.

:bump:

well, i guess i spoke too soon. the samet thing just happened with zonealarm. connection just randomly dropped. i am just not going to use ANY firewall at all and see if it still happens.

ugh.

:::eek:oh, and looky here, an update for XP just popped up:::

hmm

hey sage, yes you can block
DNS (UDP both direction)
Reply from DHCP
with tiny personall firewall, i have all these blocked on my cable modem,with filter rules and im connected just fine.
tiny is a little tricky but with some fiddling, its the most secure software firewall ive used so far,has passed all the tests ive put it thru so far...........

Your right

I stand corrected, just disabled those setting and I couldn't connect - I require the DNS UDP setting to be permitted inorder to connect to the net, but the other two could be disabled. Thanks for the info.

it was definitely the firewalls. no dropoffs in 30 hours and counting. thanks for the insight all.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back