Time/Date resetting

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
My uncle has a computer that's about 18 months old, and there is a problem with his time and date. Every few days it resets itself to January 2003, and he gets problems with certificates because his computer thinks the certificates aren't yet valid, and also all his fax logs are messed up.
Is this his CMOS battery failing? If so, are there different kinds of them, and how do I go about replacing it?
Thanks, reps as usual.

id the bios alos restting? make a small change in it thats not really abig thing then see if it also changes. is he syncronizing with the time thing in windows via internet?

I agree with Venom, this is a two part answer.

I would start with replacing the CMOS battery, you can get them from radio shack for like 3 bucks. Link That is for the 3V battery, start with that. However, that would only be the case if the problem presents itself after a power-off, not a reboot. If you set the information, it will be held until after a power-off.

How is his internet connection? Also, wouldn't be 100% out of the question he could have some malicious spyware or viruses. Everything up to date?

acually one other thing. Check the date and time in the BIOS see if they are correctr if they arent reset them so that they are. Does he have internet connection. I havent seen a virus do time and date stuff but who knows with that. Id wait on the bat until you know its that dont waste 4 bucks hehe.

Since ray_gillespie is in the UK, there's no radio shack here. hehe :p
If I remember correctly, you need to get the CR3202 battery to replace the one inside the computer. This is usually the first thing to check when it comes to Date/Time (reset) problems. If it still continues after replacing the battery then look at the other suggestions mentioned above.

ming said:
Since ray_gillespie is in the UK, there's no radio shack here. hehe :p
If I remember correctly, you need to get the CR3202 battery to replace the one inside the computer. This is usually the first thing to check when it comes to Date/Time (reset) problems. If it still continues after replacing the battery then look at the other suggestions mentioned above.

Oops, sorry, forgot about Radio Shack not being in the UK. :)

Whoa! Thanks for all the quick replies, some great info there.
I'll see what happens with this battery first then, and if the problem persists then I'll have to try other stuff. He's got up to date anti-virus software etc and doesn't really use the internet much so I don't think it's a virus, but it's still possible I suppose. I'll post again when I've tried the battery option.
Thanks again.

Reps out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back