Ticking sound on HDD, low level format...

C

casper1

hi guys,

my maxtor was having ticking sound while writing and windows reported bad sectors. then it was low level formatted by powermax, and no more problom found with "chkdsk/r".

my concern is, was there a physical error on disk? will my drive go down again in near future? how reliable my data will be on that HDD?

thanks!

Good Morning :) ( I Bet I am the only person on here at 6am )

Disks that make any kind if noises, badly scare me. Every HDD that I had, that made a noise at a certain point, then maybe that noise lessened, went away....one day that noise came back, and within a few days of that, hours with my other WD, drives died.

This might just be my experience, but really, I think you should back your stuff up. Now.

It is limping like a lame horse. Is you HDD less than a year old? If it is then Maxtor will replace it. If not better check the bank account to see if you have the bucks for a new HDD....:happy:

heard that software could cause this kind of error and low level format could fix it, any idea?

Not really. If it clicks, then it clicks. If it's software, and you format, and it's not gone...then it's not software.

I just say, beware.

thanks Nick M,

but it was gone after low level format....

I know, I know. It goes away and then it comes back faster then a nuclear explosion. It happened to me. I really hope this isn't the case for you.

have sent a mail to maxtor about this.

i doubt it will take weeks for them to reply

the ticking sound is the drive saying "im dying", backup and replace it

and maxtor honor the old 3 year warranty.

Its only drives sold in the past 2 months that are under 1 year warranty

screw emailing maxtor, run there diag tool and see what it has to say, if you get a fault, wrap and ship it, they turn it round in 2 weeks.

haha, i run powermax

low-level-format .... then factory rectification test, it pass...:huh:

new maxtor drive only has 1 yr warranty.. that mean their product quality is getting worse...

i have experience with maxtor claim, they dont allow u to ship them directly but to the place that i bought.... hell... how am i know where did i buy:(

i sent mine from the UK to the Netherlands. 2 week turnaround.

Originally posted by casper1
haha, i run powermax

low-level-format .... then factory rectification test, it pass...:huh:

YOu can RMA it on the basis that it makes noise.
i have experience with maxtor claim, they dont allow u to ship them directly but to the place that i bought.... hell... how am i know where did i buy:(
This is not true. I have RMA'd many maxtor drives. They will ship it to your address. If you have a credit card you can do the advanced RMA and get the replacement drive in a couple of days.

I periodically run diagnostics on my hard drives. Had a 30 gig Maxtor going bad. Ran their diagnostic tool, emailed them the error code and then called them for a return authorization.

Here, in the states, if you given them a credit card they will ship a new one right away and you have 30 days to return the old one. Got a new 40 gig (they sent me a 40) in a couple days and returned the bad one.

So, I was never down.

The software seems to mark the bad areas of the drive so it won't try to use/or access this part. I've had a few drives that I ran GWscan or WD's software that made the worst noises before running the program...and ran like a champ after. I have an old Maxtor drive that I use as a backup/temporary drive, at least 4-5 years ago I ran scandisk on it and it reported bad sectors so I got worried and bought a new hard drive for my primary because I figured it could go anytime. The sob is still working great (same bad sectors, it never increased)....it's crazy. It probably wouldn't have lasted as long if I'd continued using it as my main drive but I guess I'll never know for sure.

Originally posted by RabidPenguin
YOu can RMA it on the basis that it makes noise.

This is not true. I have RMA'd many maxtor drives. They will ship it to your address. If you have a credit card you can do the advanced RMA and get the replacement drive in a couple of days.

the problem is i'm in Malaysia which they dont have RMA support to end user, what the worst!!!

Originally posted by casper1
the problem is i'm in Malaysia which they dont have RMA support to end user, what the worst!!!
That sucks dungpile dude! Don't they have world-wide RMA? I know IBM does (at least they say they do).

IBM does...I RMA'd a drive from Russia before...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back