Ti4200 fan dead?

ming

OSNN Advanced
Hi, I've had my Inno3D GF4 Ti4200 graphics card for just over a year now but it seems that the fan is making a lot of noise.
I've managed to take a brief look at it while the pc was switched on and the fan seems to spin rather slow. Is there a fault on it?

I think I should replace the fan to be on the safe side, but I would like to know how it's done. Anyone?

I've had terrible luck with video card fans. The stock one died a couple months ago, and now my new Thermaltake copper cooler's fan got tangled in a wire and seized up. They're out of stock, so i have no fan on my GPU :(

Maybe theres some industry conspiracy to make sub-standard GPU coolers.

JJB

possably but i have never had a problem with a fan before unless it is eaither caught in something or to the fact that the computer is on the floor and the gpu fan gets clauged up with crud. but something that also came to mind is that i dont know if it would happen but if u oc your card the extra heat might kill it. did you oc it? or is it covered in gunk and hair? and is there at least one pci clot empty under the card????? if that dont work then get a new fan with a pci cooler there too

Originally posted by canadian_divx
but something that also came to mind is that i dont know if it would happen but if u oc your card the extra heat might kill it. did you oc it? or is it covered in gunk and hair? and is there at least one pci clot empty under the card????? if that dont work then get a new fan with a pci cooler there too

Agree with Canadian. If you are o'cing, this could be the sign that your card is going ka-put? How is your gameplay? Are you experiencing any freezing yet? Any artifacts/corruption? I had the stock fan on my 9700Pro go on me just after 4 months, while running at stock, with no apparent discernable signs of why. I unfortunately had to go the RMA route with that one.

i can't really see why overclocking a card would shorten the life of the fan. the fact is that the smaller a fan, the more relative noise it makes, the less air ir moves, and the shorter it's life. gpu fans will go out at some point, it's a given.

i really don't see why companies don't design heatsinks with larger fans yet. not giant heatsinks, but just a slower-moving, say, 60mm slim-profile fan on a video card would rock. better cooling, less noise, and... tada... more reliable.

My screen just goes blank everytime i try a game - whether it's HL (CS), or SimCity4. I can never play a full 30mins without the screen blanking out on me.
I'm checking the Thermaltake prods now, but are there any other good fans for the GPU?

How fast is a GPU fan meant to spin at?
I'm seriously concerned about my one... i can just about count the number of spins of the logo which is stuck on the fan.

Originally posted by ming
How fast is a GPU fan meant to spin at?
I'm seriously concerned about my one... i can just about count the number of spins of the logo which is stuck on the fan.
that sticker is supposed to be a complete blur. replace/fix your fan before you do permanent damage to your video card. don't play any games until you do. might want to underclock the gpu for the time being, as well.

Can I continue to use my pc for the meantime though?
I'm not going to play any games at all, except for maybe freecell or something (if that's ok).

Can I continue to use my pc for the meantime though?
I'm not going to play any games at all, except for maybe freecell or something (if that's ok).

Usually most of the damage that can occur to your vid card is when it's trying to do work on 3d apps/games. If you are only in your desktop, you may be alright, but there is still risk!!! An uncooled GPU, even though it is stock, still may feel negative effects at some point in time. When my fan went out, I went the RMA route immediately, since putting on a HSF would mean that I would have voided my warranty.

Ah well, I think the warranty on mine has expired so it wouldn't matter what I do to it.
I'll definitely have to get a new HSF for it this week.

One thing I dont understand is why some GPUs only have a heatsink and no fan, and they work perfectly fine.

One thing I dont understand is why some GPUs only have a heatsink and no fan, and they work perfectly fine.
gpu's are different. for instance, a gf4 mx420 isn't going to put out nearly as much heat as a gf4 ti. in addition to that, the passive heatsinks are larger and made for having little airflow. the active heatinks don't work well at all when their fan dies.

touch your heatsink right now and i'm ure you'll find it's very hot, even though you're not playing any games. that's not good.

like i said, ming.. underclock your gpu. get coolbits (just run the .reg file to apply it to the registry), restart, and go into your display properties and you'll see your core and memory sliders. move your gpu down to about 100mhz.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back