Thunderbird Question, Again

Jewelzz

OSNN Godlike Veteran
Been using Thunderbird for about a month now (I think), it's been working fine, no problems ... until last night.

It just stopped sending and receiving email. Anyone have a similar problem? Any clue what happen and how to fix it? Do I need to uninstall and reinstall? If I do, will I lose all my email?

First make sure it is not in offline mode.

Click File > Offline; Work Offline should be unchecked.

If you need to backup your mail and profiles copy this folder.

Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Thunderbird

Silly question, but you didn't accidentally block it on your firewall?

Jewelzz said:
Been using Thunderbird for about a month now (I think), it's been working fine, no problems ... until last night.

It just stopped sending and receiving email. Anyone have a similar problem? Any clue what happen and how to fix it? Do I need to uninstall and reinstall? If I do, will I lose all my email?
I had the exact same problem when I tried Thunderbird and had to go back to Outlook :suprised:

Out of curiousity, what do you use for an Anti-Virus program? I forget which one it was but it messed my email settings up, so you might want to check that as well.

I'm not using a firewall. AV is AVG. Now the odd thing ... I got Outlook up and running last night to get my mail. Tonight I started downloading with Outlook and opened TBird, to check the offline settings and thought, let's see what happens when I click "Get Mail" ... it's working again :blink:

Thanks to those who answered me :)

Nope, running a router. Plus all I have is NIS and well, I'm tired of Symantac crap

I had the same problem adn went back to outlook. Another thing with thunderbird that didn't set well with was multiple email accounts, it can't handle them very well ..

Thunderbird has this odd quirk - if ever it stops sending/recieving close it, kill any left behind processes, start it up again and alll is golden until the next time :)

Johnny said:
Another thing with thunderbird that didn't set well with was multiple email accounts, it can't handle them very well ..

I have 5 or 6 accounts and Thunderbird seems to be handling them well ... no complaints.

The funniest thing about this problem ... I called my ISP thinking perhaps they were having an issue...

Tech: We haven't have any issues reported
Me: I'm reporting it
Tech: What email client are you using?
Me: Thunderbird
Tech: Huh? What's that?
Me: An email client
Tech: We don't support that
Me: I'm not asking you to support it, I'm asking if you email serving is having issues.
Tech: We don't have any issues reported.
Me: I'm reporting an issue.

Haha, drove that f*cker crazy with my b!tchiness

lol, tech support is always well informed... i know a few who think that SpyBot is a virus :S

Jewelzz said:
I have 5 or 6 accounts and Thunderbird seems to be handling them well ... no complaints.

It was crashing during the process of trying to connect to diff email servers with diff pop and smtp information.

I installed Thunderbird and wasn't impressed because it was fickle about sending and recieving email. In fact for the first 5 days it didn't work at all. When I would start it up, it would ask if I wanted to import any new messages from outlook express so I would click yes because I would start up OE at the end of the day to double check my e-mails and it would pull them no problem. So I'd shut down TB and restart it and that's when it would update the messages.

Strange. I uninstalled it and I would like to use it again but that didn't impress me all that much. I like Firefox but it seems Thunderbird needs some more work.

I find it rather interesting that some of you are having problems or aren't impressed with it. I have five different pop accounts and have been using Thunderbird since pre-0.1 and have been quite happy with the results (switched from OE and FoxMail). Of course, I haven't tried importing anything but since I tend to forget to backup my e-mail when I reformat, it's almost nothing when I loose all of it and have to start from scratch. I'd say install the latest version, setup your accounts, and just go from there. Don't bother importing e-mails yet since you're going to have OE installed anyway and can just open that whenever you need to glance at an older e-mail. Create an extra pop account on the mail server if you can and use that for Thunderbird, learn it's qwerks and whatnot. Make a backup of your OE e-mail and try to import it, learn what's spazzin' out there.

Not trying to force anyone to use Thunderbird, just throwing out some [hopefully helpful] suggestions. :)

I don't want to go back to Outlook but it's continuing to happen. Might post on their forum to see if there's a fix

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back