Thunderbird Issue

Jewelzz

OSNN Godlike Veteran
I'm running v1.5 on my old PC and don't seem to have any problems. I installed v1.5 on the new PC and have all the same accounts as the old PC. When I try to send email I get (this is just one) this message:

Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server (my server name here) failed. The server many be unavailable or is regusing SMTP connections. Please veryify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network admin.

All the settings are exactly the same, I've check several times. Any suggestions? I'd really like to get away from using the old PC.

I don't really know, but maybe because the old pc is using all those settings, the new one can't use them. Try uninstalling it all and removing the settings on the old pc and see if that does anything, if u do save your emails and all lol

Why would I uninstall it on the old PC if it's working there? Then I won't get my mail :s It's not running on the old PC when I try it on the new one.

what about a firewall? If your using one I would see if it's blocking it from connecting.

I'm using PC-cillin on both PCs and they are set up the same

Call your ISP and ask them if their mail server is broke - unless your using an MTA you set up yourself locally :)

^^^^ I am not sure that is an issue if the other PC, setup exactly the same, is still able to send/receive without issue.

I had to deal with this problem on a PC running Outlook, so most of my troubleshooting wouldn't benefit here. The only thing I can recall that may help is to see if you are scanning outgoing messages with PC-cillin. Although you say everything is setup the same, there may be some flaky conflict in there. Go into PC-cillin, turn off scanning of outoing messages, close/open Thunderbird and try again.

Would I also be correct in assuming this problem does not happen 100% of the time?

The only relevant steps that might apply to Thunderbird is to check if you are

EDIT: Here is also some tips from Mozilla's KB if you haven't already seen it - the "offline mode" might be something to look into.. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Cannot_send_mail

Everything you tried but check it again. When you hit a brick wall go back and check your assumptions.

Are you sure you got all the security settings correct? Secure sockets, SSL, Authentication, Certificates, password/userid (case/spelling if you set to auto login).

Firewall - is SMTP port forwarding turned on? Is there more than one firewall up(like windows maybe)? If you have a router the 2 PC's have different addresses. Make sure any required forwarding is allowed for the new LAN address.

Any chance your ISP has identifying information on your old PC that you haven't passed tot he new one (special setup for AOswilL or other weird ISPs)?

I just hate problems like this. When you find the really simple cause you walk around for hours kicking the furniture, the spouse, the new computer...

Did you remember to disable the windows firewall?

Can you receive E Mail but just not Send?
Or can't send and receive?

Have you tried disabling PC-cillin for a minute and seeing if mail works then?

Turned off outgoing mail scan on PC-cillin, Windows firewall is not and hasn't been running, work offline isn't and hasn't been checked. Now when I open TB it says "Cannot connect to *my server name*, timed out.

I really don't want to install and use Outlook :(

There is always Eudora. It's what I'm using. Outlook sucks.

Install Eudora (or yuk, outlook) just to see if you can connect to the mail server from the new computer. If you can connect you know it is a Thunderbird issue.

If you can't connect with outlook or eudora it could be your ISP authenticating the computer you are on.

Check this if you would under account settings for each account in thunderbird.

“Account name” it should be “your e mail address @ your isp.com” if under account name you forget to add @and then your isp.com whatever it is, then you can’t send Mail.

Jewelzz, I know that you checked all your settings on your account, but what provider do you have? Is it SBC/AT&T or some other?

The reason I ask is that in the "account settings" where you have the account name it can sometimes set itself as yourname@someplace dot net.someplace dot net. It can double up the someplace dot net thingy. Also with SBC you now have to use your entire e-mail address as your account name (name@someplace dot net). Also in the "server settings" if the end is doubled up like what I just mentioned it will do the same thing of not connecting for sending mail. But the main one is the "outgoing sever settings". If that one is as I pointed out it will do what you are saying is happening.

Yeah I know, you checked and double checked everything. But it can happen. I did it once, drove me batty for close to half a day. :s

Now if you could post the "account" "server" and "outgoing" settings windows please. But of course cover what is necessary to keep your privacy. This way we can all look over your settings and maybe we will see what it wrong. :)

[edit]
Also if you read the info above the outgoing server box it says, "Although you can specify more than one outgoing server (SMTP), this is only recommended for advanced users. Setting up mutiple SMTP servers can cause errors when sending messages". Do you have multiple servers for outgoing messages?

Attachments

• account_settings.jpg
    account_settings.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 110
  • server_settings.jpg
    server_settings.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 106
  • outgoing_server_settings.jpg
    outgoing_server_settings.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Jewelzz, another option you could look into is installing/running your own SMTP server on the PC you are using. There is a freeware application called PostCast Server which works really well...

http://www.postcastserver.com/

LeeJend said:
There is always Eudora. It's what I'm using. Outlook sucks.

Install Eudora (or yuk, outlook) just to see if you can connect to the mail server from the new computer. If you can connect you know it is a Thunderbird issue.

If you can't connect with outlook or eudora it could be your ISP authenticating the computer you are on.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but Outlook doesn't "suck". It's an awesome program, and I have used it for years. I never will switch to anything else, as I simply don't need to. It handles all of my accounts, needs and functions all in one simple, easy-to-use location.

You are entitlted to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine :D

[/thread hijack]

Here ya go gonaads, these are the old PC settings. I have to install a gfx program on the new PC and I'll post those settings as well

[edit]Ya missed one on the account settings (yer e-mail addy was showin at the very top... I fixed) :D gonaads

Attachments

• server-settings.jpg
    server-settings.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 105
  • outgoing.jpg
    outgoing.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 108
  • acct-settings.jpg
    acct-settings.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 114
Last edited by a moderator:
Jewelzz, post a pic of you default server settings window again. The one ya posted is for the second account. Post for the "default" account.

But you may have a problem on the new computer due to you having 4 accounts, all with there own outgoing sever.

I'm gonna look to see if I have any links for this.

[edit]
Read through this and see if anything stands out to you.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Multiple_SMTP_Servers

Also, I know that kcnychief already posted this link, but read the "For advanced users" section (at/near bottom of page). See if anything there is useable.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Cannot_send_mail

Last edited:
Sorry gonaads, been busy with work. I'll get pics posted of the new PC settings tomorrow after my workout :s

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back