throttle Connection

M

ms998

Hi

I've got a 2 pc network in my house runnign thorugh winproxy. Everything works fine although i'd like to limit the connection to downsatirs to half of what is available.

Is there any programs or ways of acheiving this ???

BTW running Xp Pro

I think you could turn on QoS (reserves a certain amount of bandwidth of system usage) and change the percentage from the default to ~50, and that should give you effectively the same effect. You could also set your downstairs computer to use 10Mb instead of 100Mb (assuming it's 100 now...) though that's a bit more than 50%, you don't get 100Mb service through any internet connection unless you're working to pay for that connection alone =)
/L.A

Interesting idea, and it's something that was brought up in another forum that I participate in. However, I have a couple of questions about it:

1. Normally, I have only seen this used in load balanced systems, or systems that have many routes to the same resource but are "costed" and QoS is used to route as much traffic to the cheaper route as it can possibly handle. Would that be something that can apply to this issue? And...

2. It would seem that the person wants to limit the amount of bandwidth that another machine can use from the Internet connection, rather than the LAN connection. Can this version of QoS be set to monitor the application layer and cap it to, let's say, 250Kbps in the case of HTTP/FTP traffic going to and from that system?

I haven't had a need to fiddle with it, but I am slowly getting there. :)

Honestly, I don't know. I've only scanned an article or two on TechNET and there was a post on here about how to set the reserved amount to zero (supposedly it's ~20% by default...) but that post is long gone with the old forum. As far as I understand it though, QoS would just reserve a certain amount of bandwidth for whatever services are present, be it WINS resolution or load-balancing (though I couldn't imagine anyone running load-balancing services off XP...) Was just a thought off the top of my head.
/L.A

APK was fiddling with some white papers on this, but I haven't gotten around to doing anything with it yet. Sounds like a project once I can get through my SQL/ADO books...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back