Those Little Tweaks

N

Not Bman

Over the years, on XP and Vista I have done many tweaks/hacks etc for windows. If that was removing something from something, adding, editing, speeding up windows, or what not. I of course never wrote any of these down.

Now I am onto Windows 7, I am wondering what are some awesome tweaks and tips for 7, or maybe not even just for 7 but for all. Classic tweaks or new tweaks. Anything you guys always do, or suggest.

Thanks.

my opinion, for the most part now that there is usually an abundance of memory and ample processor resorces to spare, most "tweaks" are counter productive

there is certainly a trade with just about everything you do, the exception being user interface speed shortucuts for your own personal use

for instance I need the device manager almost every day, I therefore put a shortcut on my desktop and created an f key to launch, that's a legitimate tweak to speed my computing withoutt a tradeoff

of course there are services you might not need which will slow boot time but in general if a service is defaulted to luanch atomatically then most people will use that process sooner or later

when a service is launched, if it's not referanced it gives up all it's memory footprint so that's not a real concern

so user specific tweaks and security tweaks for particular envirment are really the most productive "tweaks

when you launch a program and expect to lanuch it again at a later time don't shut it down just minimize the program (which is oposite commonn advice but it's true never the less

keep your files organized for easy access, keep your quicklaunch current and when you hear about a "tweak" don't just do it and think it's great no matter what the author says about it

Last edited:
"when a service is launched, if it's not referanced it gives up all it's memory footprint so that's not a real concern"

is this something new in windows 7? I've been shutting down services i dont want ever since xp to speed up boot, free up cpu cycles and memory

"when a service is launched, if it's not referanced it gives up all it's memory footprint so that's not a real concern"

is this something new in windows 7? I've been shutting down services i dont want ever since xp to speed up boot, free up cpu cycles and memory
it's not new, it's always happened with an nt kernel

the only purpose for turning services off is to speed boot or if you specifically don't want that service

for instance, users once didn't want error reporting for privacy reasons, it wasn't because of using resources, those weren't used unless there was an error

the easiest method for turning off error reporting was ending the service, to me a counter productive excersize

that very example makes the point, turning that service off was of course was a mistake, microsoft definately used those reports to stabalize the nt kernel, I personally think it's irresponsible turning error reporting off

I remember people were going nuts becuase of qos and came up with convoluted methods for turning it off, I said that while qos was not doing anything malignant, the easiest method for getting rid of it was to turn off the service

but that's it, if your computer doesn't referance the service it doesn't use resources, if your computer does referance the service you probably shouldn't be shutting it down

but your boot speed is definately improved getting turning services off, that's about the only benefit

but there is this;

while over time the memory is released that a service not being referanced used, when you first boot that memory is not released, so working sets will wind up bigger for a small period of time if you had services turned off

working sets are increased by referancing differant features of a program, if memory is not under pressure, that feature remains in memory until someone else needs memory that isn't available

if something like that happens those memory signatures not being referanced have long before given their memory to the standby list, it's claimed by the new referance from there

but all of that only happens if you're under memory pressure, if you're not, memory is simply sitting in the standby list wating to be used by either the program that put it on the list or some other program that might be launched or a feature newly accessed

here's an exception whence a person should turn off a service that's othewise automatic;

of course if you have an after market program that's doing the job of the service, both might conflict so turn off the service once you are sure your program does a better job

Last edited:
one particular tweak I am quite fond;

I have moved my temporary internet files to the desktop, I found a program that can defrag just folder

the temp internet files get most fragmented becuase of how dynamci it is but defragging the entire drive because your temp internet folder needs it would be counter productive

I therefore defrag the temp internet folder with a free program called "defraggler"

this definately saves time from defragging the entire drive and it speeds access to temporary files while surfing the internet

I have a 20 meg connection and still notice an improvement doing this so that's something I invented for myself and highly reccomend

Perris, forgive my noobitudity, but how does one move temporary internet files to the desktop? And do you have to do that for every browser you use? I'm currently using Windows 7057 64bit. Thanks.

Perris, forgive my noobitudity, but how does one move temporary internet files to the desktop? And do you have to do that for every browser you use? I'm currently using Windows 7057 64bit. Thanks.
tools, internet files, settings, move folder

Windows 7 is best for that sidebar that you can put onto it. It is just as smooth as the mac's

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back