THIS THREAD HAS NO NAME TELL AN ADMIN

Nope, no joy. Still encountering the 122mb barrier. If money wasn't an issue, i'd get SuperSpeed RamDisk XP, you can find that one here:

http://www.superspeed.com/ramdiskxppro.html

It gives you a 30 day trial, but it costs $100 USD. This one I've had real good resuts with. It has a 4gig ceiling at the moment and is very easy to configure.

I'm hoping AR Soft will get their version running up to the 2gig ceiling they advertise because free definantly fits my budget better :D . I'll still use it for my temporary internet files though, at least until I want to download something larger then 100mb or so. XP doesn't allow me to switch this directly on the fly. It has to log me out to do the change (something to consider when using it for this purpose).

With enough memory i'm hoping to set it and forget it type thing. Yeah, yeah, ok - it's fun to play with too. :p

Anyway, i'll keep in contact with AR Soft, and if they're able to get their Ramdisk up to specs I'll make a new post for y'all.

32MB Barrier

Just read the Microsoft FAT Specififcation carefully. It can be found as Whitepaper on the Microsoft Homepage (but do ask me where exactly).

hey does this take up your ram? like after the Z:\ drive is made, does it reduce your ram?

-{bLaDe}

EEk, hit a snag

By all accounts I have followed the instructions but somethings off.

In my PC I can see the RAMDRIVE, which has been called Z:

it says it is 0MB in size and unable to be accessed

but using your program to adjust the size it says its 32MB and working fine..

One question though, lots of people are posting images of the ram drive settings, including space available and treat as disk etc etc..

where are those settings?

if I go to device manager it just says working fine do I want to change driver...

This is the problem..

your ramdrive program says it is hunky dunky and the mb is set to 32MB

the drive letter is Z: and the temp path is z:\temp and z:\tmp

however, in my computer if i double click on the Z ram drive I get Z Not Accessible. Incorrect Function..

If I then right click on it it says it is 0 bytes in size, 0 free 0 used!!

somewhere something is not right..

also in your edit program it always reboots even when I havent changed anything, and it doesnt give me the option to reboot later or to exit without rebooting, I was 80% of the way through a 110MB download whn it got me the first time !

Also, when it does reboot, it doesnt do a rollover on my pc it issues a shutdown command which seems to struggle and stop mid shut down sometimes

Nope, cant see it, my problem that is..

I saw the bit on how to use the program without restarting, and how to set the cache etc etc..

what I don't see however is the solution to the problem i have where it says "Z drive, Not Accessible, Incorrect Function"

I have the Ram Drive active, yet it still says it is 0 bytes in size, and your program says it is 32Mb in Size.

Something is not right..

can you be helpful to a thick git who just can't see whats going wrong please, I know its a pain for you, but it would be a huge help to me if you could let me know where I have gone wrong..

Nope,

Did as you mentioned, uninstalled and reinstalled, I hadnt used this before and there wasnt a hidden device.

I'll try the other ram drive program, to see if that works or if something else is amiss.

thx for trying though..

Still had same error z: is innaccessable and 0 bytes in size

ARGH!!

Tried the AR Program it worked first time!!

then rebooted and now it has exactly the same problem as the other program :(

Z not accessible, Incorrect function

even though in control panel ramdrive options it says its ok..

Check up further in the post, I've got a screenshot for the settings I'm using. I'm running the the AR Soft Ramdisk at 122mb and haven't had any problems with it. If you have it set to emulate a hard disk, you need to format it.

thx Ill give this a try now..

The pc was rebuilt about two days ago.

It was winME but XP threw a fit when it saw my Raid Ide card and manged to corrupt everything and lost around 15Gb of work data :(

So, I completely deleted the lot, (no choice disk set fubbarred) and added a 20Gb Ide drive on Primary..

So now it boots to the IDE on primary leaving the now restored 65Gb stripe array as my data storage on D:

I used the XP disk as a clean install, threw in a NT4 disk when prompted for another OS, and did it that way, so completely clean install, no left over files or anything..

Then other than update it to latest versions (MS Update facility) thats about it..

well did EXACTLY as you said..

It doesnt work

I still get the same error (ok drive letter has changed to L:) but

L: device innaccessible

Incorrect Function, and we are back to the 0 byte size again..

However, one thing, using your program windows hung on shut down, whereas the ar program restarted cleanly..

would pressing the reset switch clear the instruction set from the pc..

You have lost me a little on that..

Is Windows fully updated?

If you mean have I run the windows update feature and installed and downloaded all available options, then yes.

If however there is a file or patch somewhere that isnt included in the Microsoft update facility, then the answer is probably no.

well I will give it a try.. let you know how I get on..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back