"This program has encountered a problem and needs to close"

BlackScarletLove

I'm really sad because whenever I try to open dosbox or American McGee's Alice it crashes on startup, giving the above error message. Virus and spyware scans are clean, and reinstalling is unsuccessful. I used to be able to use these programs just fine.
See screenshot and error message attached.

I am using
WinXP with 2.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual,
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5K SE Rev 1.xx mobo,
2048 Megabytes Installed Memory
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT [Display adapter]
Realtek High Definition Audio

Please help.

Attachments

• error.PNG
    error.PNG
    93.3 KB · Views: 554
  • e1b_appcompat.txt
    4.1 KB · Views: 152
Try running it from safe mode and see if it works, that way you will know if its a program or driver getting in the way

In this case, I'd start with the "earliest" compatibility available, which I believe is Windows 95. Won't hurt any to try them all though.

I think dosbox was made to run in XP...

also, try running it on one core, im pretty sure dos wasnt made to run on more than one :p

core affinity shouldn't make much difference. The application won't know its on more than one.

core affinity shouldn't make much difference. The application won't know its on more than one.

what is core affinity? does this have to do with my dual core processer? How would I run it on one core if i felt like it? (just curious)

It means forcing a program to only run on one or more particular cores of your processor, so instead of it being spread around to two or four different cores, it'll run on less than the maximum available.

IMHO, I doubt if this will make any difference either.

I only know how to change the affinity of a program that's already running. Someone else may know how or if you can set a program to only run on one core to begin with.

In XP or Vista, to change the affinity, go to the Task Manager (Control-Alt-Delete). Choose the Processes tab, find your program's process, right-click it and choose Set Affinity. The rest should be self-explanatory.

FYI, I just installed DOSBox 0.72 on my Athlon 64 X2 4400+ (on my dual-booted XP installation) and it worked just fine.

well i discovered it works in safe mode, and when I disabled hardware excelleration to 3/6 one of the programs worked, so I don't know what that indicates.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back