• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

"This program has encountered a problem and needs to close"

BlackScarletLove

I'm really sad because whenever I try to open dosbox or American McGee's Alice it crashes on startup, giving the above error message. Virus and spyware scans are clean, and reinstalling is unsuccessful. I used to be able to use these programs just fine.
See screenshot and error message attached.

I am using
WinXP with 2.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual,
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5K SE Rev 1.xx mobo,
2048 Megabytes Installed Memory
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT [Display adapter]
Realtek High Definition Audio

Please help.

Attachments

zeke_mo

(value not set)
Staff member
Political User
Try running it from safe mode and see if it works, that way you will know if its a program or driver getting in the way

zeke_mo

(value not set)
Staff member
Political User
I think dosbox was made to run in XP...

also, try running it on one core, im pretty sure dos wasnt made to run on more than one :p

It means forcing a program to only run on one or more particular cores of your processor, so instead of it being spread around to two or four different cores, it'll run on less than the maximum available.

IMHO, I doubt if this will make any difference either.

I only know how to change the affinity of a program that's already running. Someone else may know how or if you can set a program to only run on one core to begin with.

In XP or Vista, to change the affinity, go to the Task Manager (Control-Alt-Delete). Choose the Processes tab, find your program's process, right-click it and choose Set Affinity. The rest should be self-explanatory.

BlackScarletLove

well i discovered it works in safe mode, and when I disabled hardware excelleration to 3/6 one of the programs worked, so I don't know what that indicates.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
debbieherrin