This OS Is Driving Me INSANE!!

N

Nick718

I posted this on another board, but thought it might get more results in this section. I have had XP on here for about 4 months, upgraded from 98 SE after a reformat. From the day I've had the XP OS on here (Proffessional), I've had a major problem. The system just crashes about every 2-3 hours of normal activity. I've tried so many things to fix it. At first it would auto reboot, but after disabling that, I just get a blue screen of death. It always happens when I am doing something, some action such as a mouse click, or button click. Is anone else having this problem? Is there any way to resolve it. If not, I fear I must have to go back to 98, has anyone ever done the XP uninstall, does it create many problems?

Don't recall off the top of my head, but next time it happens, very soon most likely, I'll write it down and bring it here.

Have you tried..

Doing a reformat and Complete CLEAN install of XP ??

XP likes to start out with a clean install. (This gets rid of all of the little crappy problems that have been left over from the previous OS)
Bet you $ 20 that will solve most of your crashing problems.

Well, I'd like to do a full clean install of XP, but there are a few things I need to know. First off, how much does the full XP cost? I only borrowed the upgrade from a friend, and I am on a teenagers budget. Second, can that version, the full version, boot through DOS? After I reformat, can I boot from that CD and install XP?
Now, I just had the crash again, and wrote down what it said. Basically it said to check drivers and BIOS and such if the problem was something that occured more than once. Then it said:
**STOP*** 0x0000008E (then more sets of numbers in parenth.)
Win32k.sys adress BF8687A4 (then more numbers)
base at (more ####s)
datestamp (more ###s)

Then it says:
Begining Dump of Phyiscal Memory
Physical Memory Dump Complete

Hopefully someone can make something of this.

The Microsoft Knowledge Base isn't returning anything for me, yet. In the meantime, follow these instructions for getting a more definitive look at the error message:

Configure Windows to write an event log message with bugcheck information:

Click the Start button, and then click Control Panel .

Double-click the System icon, and then click the Advanced tab.

In the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings , and then click to select the Write an event to the system log check box.

An event log message is written to the system log.

The description and format of the event log differs from the format that is displayed when the computer is writing the Memory.dmp file, but the majority of the information is the same. The following is an example of the event log:

Event ID: 1001
Source: Save Dump
Description: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.
The bugcheck was: 0xc000021a (0xe1270188, 0x00000001, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). Microsoft Windows NT (v15.1381).
A dump was saved in: C:\WINNT\MEMORY.DMP.

This information contains the STOP code 0xc000021a and the four parameters. These can be very useful when you are troubleshooting certain types of STOP codes. The meaning of the parameters varies, depending on the type of STOP code.

When you get the information, post it again. It will probably contain a lot of what you've already given, but it may turn something else up.

Ok, I need some more info. I have had that item checked by default since XP was installed. For weeks my settings have been set to Small Dump (64kb), and I have set it to dump to a specific folder. It apears it dumps a .dmp file into that folder after every crash, there are tons in there. However they are not files windows recognizes, what should I do with them? Or is the information you are talkinga bout somewhere else?

Update: I tried openning one of the files with notepad, its a lot of unreadable symbols and such, nothing that makes sense. If you would like to IM me, i'm at pinkpanther718 on AIM, that may make things go faster for both of us. Thanks you so much for the help.

is it happening when you are using Outlook, or just at random times? I searched that error message on yahoo! and found a couple of different sites (most message boards) that talked about that message, and one person said that Outlook was causing that error message.......

here's the address to that one:
http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=4267

you might try searching for the error message on different search engines and see what you can come up with. I searched for "stop 0X0000008E"

Thought that this might help, hopefully it does...

I don't have AIM. Go to your event viewer... Right click on 'my computer'> manage. In that window that comes up, on the left side, expand the 'event viewer' branch. You'll see a list of event logs... Application, Security, and System. Highlight them and on the right you'll get a list. Look for errors and warnings, right click on one of the errors or warnings and select 'properties.'

Ok folks, I have some information here, lots of it.
The last information log before the set of errors the presumably crashed the PC was at 5:09:50 and the properties reads : "The Remote Access Auto Connection Manager service entered the running state." Next there are a few errors, the first of which is 4 seconds later and reads "Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bf86f7a4, parameter3 f0331c64, parameter4 00000000." This error is followed by 4 more errors, each comming seconds after the previous, they read as follow.
In order from second error message after the one I've already listed, to last error:
1."Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bf86f7a4, parameter3 f078a834, parameter4 00000000."
2."Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bf86f7a4, parameter3 ec220834, parameter4 00000000."
3."Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bf86f7a4, parameter3 f075bc64, parameter4 00000000."
4."Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bf86f7a4, parameter3 f3681834, parameter4 00000000."

Hope that can help figure this out.... And no, I don't run Outlook alot, only when reading mail, and this crash has never occured then.
Thanks all.

I'm getting absolutely nothing back when i search for **STOP*** 0x0000008E. I don't know what to tell you on this one. The knowledge base is usually pretty good when it comes to stop codes... this one just ain't there.

What about that log error "Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bf86f7a4, parameter3 f0331c64, parameter4 00000000."? It has to be something with those logs, I can't figure out exactly what yet though.

Update: I just looked at the log again after another crash. It happened just as Remote Acces Auto Connection Manager was starting again. What exactly is this service, and what does it do? Can I get away with disabling it?

You can try disabling it. Go back to where you view the logs. Under 'Services,' find it, right click on it and disable it. Look at the attachment for where it's at.

Hey everyone, We must all be stupid.Look at nicks third posting It says he borrowed the upgrade copy from a friend.Its unregistered It is probably a time out issue...Food for thought ?:D

Well, its not the fact that I used a friends, I know 3 others who used the same exact copy after I did, nobody else has that problem. I've now determined positvely that the last service run each and every time before the problem occurs, the error in question that is, is the Remote Auto Connection. Anyone know what that does exactly, and why when I disable it in the settings it still runs?

Another Update: I looked in the application logs. I found warnings following the successful startup of something called "EAPOL" These warnings had something to do with COM+Events, and occured right about the same minute as the total crash and the errors in the system log.

You are going to spend the next 5 years trying to track down each problem...

Save yourself a lot of UNNECESSARY grief.

Get a legit copy of XP and then do a CLEAN INSTALL.

You have way too many problems which are most probably from your previous operating system.

After a Clean install you should be set, except for possibly having to find and install an odd driver or 2.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back