This is making me mad...

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
Look, I'm all for generating funds via ads. But some of these ads take it too far.

This ad or whatever it may be puts a file (UserImages.bmp) on my hard drive in my Documents folder. As some of you may or may not recognize the image it is indeed those stupid smiley faces that make noise when you mouse over. I haven't a clue why it ends up on my hard drive in my Documents folder but I can say with 100% certainty that I am not putting it there and I never click the ad (or any of them for that matter).

This isn’t the first time this has happened with this file magically appearing in my Documents folder either.

Once again, for the record, we need to start offering premium services without ads, a monthly/yearly fee for ads free browsing and maybe other benefits for subscribers.

Last edited:
/Raises Hand...

I AGREE!! paypal donations to make yourself a premium member!!

First off, I happen to like that ad because the noises make me laugh, but I've never noticed the downloading to my local drive, and can understand the frustration there.

Secondly, I have also inquired about premium content before, as I believe have many others, and I think they decided it wouldn't get enough response.

Honestly, I'd say your best bet may be to turn off Ads within your browser, at least for the time being, and maybe the premium content (which I am also very STRONGLY on the bandwagon for), may happen at some point.

EDIT: Also, if it is a particular ad such as this, I believe they need the URL or whatever and they can try to remove it and block it from coming back.

I'm up for paying for premium content as well, even though the ads don't bother me too much.

I have read something about this file before, I will try and find out what is going on.

X-Istence said:
Ads are JavaScript, and can't write to your hard drive.

Taking this a step further, and knowing madmatt is a tweak freak, are you by any chance using FireFox with a superfetch plugin I think it's called? If I remember how that works, it crawls every single page you visit, indexing all sites, links and pictures to your local machine just incase you go there, hence making your experience quicker. However, if that was the case, I would think they would go to your temporary internet files folder, but not 100% sure since I don't use it.

kcnychief said:
Taking this a step further, and knowing madmatt is a tweak freak, are you by any chance using FireFox with a superfetch plugin I think it's called? If I remember how that works, it crawls every single page you visit, indexing all sites, links and pictures to your local machine just incase you go there, hence making your experience quicker. However, if that was the case, I would think they would go to your temporary internet files folder, but not 100% sure since I don't use it.

It would go into the temporary files that FireFox creates under the user's profile folder.

If JavaScript could write to the hard drive, then it would be a problem. Besides, as ElectronicPunk showed, it is from Nero 7, and has nothing to do with the advertisements on this site.

EP is correct. Nero 7 creates the file. My apologies for blaming ads.

However, I still think premium services are needed. Those of us who subscribe can have a special banner.

As an aside, Nero 7 does other strange stuff when you install it, e.g. it changes all the directory dialogue box icons (e.g. create new folder, go up a level etc) to the same icon, making it hard to see which button is which.

I need to really fix that sometime when I have time to sit down and home and figure out what got changed (not the icon cache as thats been flushed out)

The way round it if your installing it for the first time, it to not allow itself to associate with everything. That way the icons don't go fubar.

Back on topic, madmatt's problem bizarre but doesn't suprise me about Nero 7 (the save to hard drive thing). Its a great program but almost as bad as msn plus! if you don't watch your step.

Strip Nero down Madmatt. Hope this helps

Thanks to MSFN Forums

Don't know if it will eliminate the bloat, but they seem to come to conclusions that it's possible to just install components of the suite.

I'd subscribe to be a premium member just because being here for a while, I would be compelled to :laugh: ... I have said this before ... I have never ever clicked on an ad here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back