• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

thinking of setting up RAID

M

MiseryQ

Guest
#2
Do you have the motherboard yet?!?

If not Here something to try... Get and install two harddrives... Go into "disk managment" convert them to dynamic disks, and then Use disk managment again to "span" the two drives... This give you a software based raid drive... It's VERY close to a hardware based raid system and is more configurable, is that a word?!?...

I had this set up in Win2k and in the beta versions of Xp... Then I converted my Ultra100 to a Fastrack100... The drives bench the same and the CPU usage is no different...

The only problem with dynamic disks is that no other OS can read them... If you have NTFS it doesn't matter anyway...

Also try doing this in Fat32 if it'll let you, I don't remember. Fat32 raid drives perform better that there NTFS counterparts...


ooops... I'm babbling...
 
Z

ZipTriX

Guest
#3
Originally posted by MiseryQ
Do you have the motherboard yet?!?

If not Here something to try... Get and install two harddrives... Go into "disk managment" convert them to dynamic disks, and then Use disk managment again to "span" the two drives... This give you a software based raid drive... It's VERY close to a hardware based raid system and is more configurable, is that a word?!?...

I had this set up in Win2k and in the beta versions of Xp... Then I converted my Ultra100 to a Fastrack100... The drives bench the same and the CPU usage is no different...

The only problem with dynamic disks is that no other OS can read them... If you have NTFS it doesn't matter anyway...

Also try doing this in Fat32 if it'll let you, I don't remember. Fat32 raid drives perform better that there NTFS counterparts...


ooops... I'm babbling...
already have the motherboard and 2 hard drives, but getting a third. so that is why I am thinking of getting raid.
 
M

MiseryQ

Guest
#4
If you already have it then go for it... It better than plain ATA100...
I don't know how the motherboard sets the raid but if it's like my Promise card then set it for performance, that'll span the drives...
 

JJB6486

Retired Mod
Political User
#5
If you have two drives of the same type, i sould recomend striping them together. You get faster read/write speeds

JJB6486
 
Z

ZipTriX

Guest
#6
Originally posted by JJB6486
If you have two drives of the same type, i sould recomend striping them together. You get faster read/write speeds

JJB6486
which is better though? stripping, mirror + stripping, etc?
 
M

MiseryQ

Guest
#7
Striping will set the drives up for speed... Half the info is written/read to each drive at the same time... Mirroring copies the entire file to each drive, if one drive dies you'll have to install another one and rebuild the array, mirroring with scsi is different if one drives dies the infos still available...

Mirror plus stripping needs 4 drives, 2 for striping, 2 for mirroring... Since it's IDE raid go with stripping... If you want all out speed get 4 drives then stripe them, that's when raid really starts kicking ass...
 
Z

ZipTriX

Guest
#8
Originally posted by MiseryQ
Striping will set the drives up for speed... Half the info is written/read to each drive at the same time... Mirroring copies the entire file to each drive, if one drive dies you'll have to install another one and rebuild the array, mirroring with scsi is different if one drives dies the infos still available...

Mirror plus stripping needs 4 drives, 2 for striping, 2 for mirroring... Since it's IDE raid go with stripping... If you want all out speed get 4 drives then stripe them, that's when raid really starts kicking ass...
I want scsi raid, but I also want a T1 :( lol


In time i plan on getting onbord scsi.


SO if I go with stripping, and a drive dies, I would have to reformat and install everything again? Oh yeah would it be better if both my hard drive were on the same IDE cable?
 
M

MiseryQ

Guest
#9
Soory,,, missed this post last night... If one drive dies you have to reformat... Even if you mirrored the drives you'd still have to build the array... The advantages of raid is lost on an OS though,,, Raid has a higher read/write, your OS drive should have a faster seek time... There not many OS files that are large enough to make a difference... Raid could be used for your paging file... and definatly used for adobe swap files, storage, what have you...

the opinions stated above are MiseryQ's and might not be anyone elses
 
D

DNA of FLASH

Guest
#10
I'm using SOYO DRAGON PLUS with RAID support and you can actualy specify what kind of RAID stripping you want, it has option for:
- Server (small file read/write)
- Audio/Video (large file read/write)
- Desktop (small & lard file read/write)

with my computer set to audio/video (that is what I do) stripping it starts-up WinXP in 18-20 seconds (Bootvis boot timing test)
 
Z

ZipTriX

Guest
#11
Originally posted by DNA of FLASH
I'm using SOYO DRAGON PLUS with RAID support and you can actualy specify what kind of RAID stripping you want, it has option for:
- Server (small file read/write)
- Audio/Video (large file read/write)
- Desktop (small & lard file read/write)

with my computer set to audio/video (that is what I do) stripping it starts-up WinXP in 18-20 seconds (Bootvis boot timing test)
I can't get bootvis to work :(


I might have to get the soyo dragon :D
 
M

MiseryQ

Guest
#12
I can't get bootvis to work either... I don't remeber but I got some weird error...

I have basically the same 3 option on my Promise...

APK... I think you might have helped me on my thread, [which I have'nt checked yet[/i]...
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,962
Messages
673,240
Members
89,017
Latest member
loxioalix