THermaltake Volcano 11 getting 55c idle

silky62678

The Unstoppable...
I have a Thermaltake Volcano 11 and getting around 55c idle. im thinking that's not normal. Any ideas? Im running AMD XP 2400 o.c. at 2600.

Dubbin1

I Like Cheese
silky62678 said:
I have a Thermaltake Volcano 11 and getting around 55c idle. im thinking that's not normal. Any ideas? Im running AMD XP 2400 o.c. at 2600.
No thats not normal. Try resetting the HS and and make sure you dont put too much thermal past on it. Get some artic silver if you can.

Teddy

Boogie Nights...!
Just outta interest...how much is 'too much' cos i just put a new processor in the Shuttle XPC with a generous (but no overly-generous) amount of paste.

scotty588

OSNN Addict
im thinking about getting a shuttle xpc trying to find a good deal on one for a amd cpu. where did u get urs and how much if u dont mind me asking

Fenris

OSNN Senior Addict
you just dont want the paste to over spill on to the chip if it connects the little connecters together it can cause a small fire :)

Dubbin1

I Like Cheese
Teddy said:
Just outta interest...how much is 'too much' cos i just put a new processor in the Shuttle XPC with a generous (but no overly-generous) amount of paste.
You want to put a drop about the size of a grain of rice on it. It dont take much at all.

Shamus MacNoob

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
Fenris said:
you just dont want the paste to over spill on to the chip if it connects the little connecters together it can cause a small fire :)

Nothing like roasting hot dogs on your puter huh ... :p

I have never heard of a fire from too much paste but hey who knows

silky62678

The Unstoppable...
I know there is not a set answer to this question, but around what temp "ball park figure" should i be getting ?

GoNz0

NTFS Stoner
well with a case temp of 20 im getting 44 idle at 3500 rpm, i have a thermaltake xaser 2 case, chips a XP2700, and the other heat source is the viddy card, so its designed for getting the air from the front of the case, all the way round the cards and cpu and out the back at a high rate to stop ambient build up, sounds like you have bad ventilation or a dead air spot over the CPU. the case has 2 inlet fans mounted to the bottom front of the case, a side panel fan over the viddy card, 2 rear exaust fans, and the PSU has 2 fans, 1 to pull air in over the top of the CPU and the rear to act as a 3rd outlet.

bad ventilation will let some of the hot air being blown out the heatsink to come back in the top stopping cool air getting in.

another thing is i have to clean the fluff out the volcano 11+ once a month, that can take idle temps to 50 when its getting clogged :)

cryogenic

OSNN Addict
My friend's Barton 2700+ with a Volcano 11 at full blast runs about 42C at idle in a really really hot house, so I think 55 at idle is a bit high. Even under full load, his never approaches 50C. Perhaps your case is not exhausting the hot air quickly enough? Or perhaps the HSF is not seated properly... or as stated before, could be too much or too little thermal paste. Granted, my Athlon XP 2000+ ran at those temps all the time and I never noticed any ill effects from it.

Shamus MacNoob

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
Mine with a case temp of 35C gives 39C for CPU I use a vantec aeroflow , with 3 case fans , my psu has 2 fans , I get about 46C full load.

silky62678

The Unstoppable...
SWEET, i reseated that bad boy and getting 43c idle, 49 loaded. That's alot better than 55c idle. Ahole 12 degress c

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
might want to play around a bit with the airflow in your system as well...

43c is still a little on the high side...

however amd socket A cpu's are good through around 80C or so...

falcone

WinFS Advocate :D
oh no... my new xp 2800+ is running 55c idle... n reboots the CPU when reaching 60.. is this normal?

my airflow at the moment is 1 UPS exhaust, 1 5 1/2" bay fan to draw out air in front, a front fan also throwing out air... is this okay? a little confused what would be a good airflow pattern :confused:

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
falcone said:
oh no... my new xp 2800+ is running 55c idle... n reboots the CPU when reaching 60.. is this normal?

my airflow at the moment is 1 UPS exhaust, 1 5 1/2" bay fan to draw out air in front, a front fan also throwing out air... is this okay? a little confused what would be a good airflow pattern :confused:
me :confused: too! On other thread you said all stable.... true or false?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samhicks