Themes

J

James

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong please....

I downloaded some new themes for my XP and can't get them to work. I created a theme directory under my user directory (documents and settings) and unzipped them there. Then when I use the desktop properties dialog and browse there and select the .theme file, it doesn't display. It just goes to a basic screen.

If I use explorer and browse there, I see another file with thte theme name with an .msstyles extension. How can I apply them when the theme browser only seems to look for .theme files?

Is there a way to apply new themes?

Thanks, James

The only way to use an unsigned theme is if you've installed StylesXP. If you have that installed then you can just double click on the msstyles file(s) to load the basic skin of the theme (w/o all the extras settings like wallpaper, cursors, etc.).

A lot of these were created by hacking the original Luna theme and you'll have to navigate to Display properties and selecting the "hacked" color scheme. To do this right click on a blank area of your desktop> select "properties"> "appearance" tab> and then go to the pulldown menu "color scheme" and go through the available options until you find the one represented.

XP will NOT allow you to load an unsigned theme until you've run Styles XP... it will only revert to the default theme.

Look under Windows\Resources\Themes
and put them there.

Then go to your desktop, right mouseclick and properties
See if they re-appear there.

A site to get themes is
http://www.themexp.org

Thanks guys.

I guess my next task will be to look for Styles XP.

Any thoughts on where to get it? Is it 3rd party?

James

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back