The System could not log you on

rettigdpm

rich rettig
On boot up,(Win XP Home, SP2) I get the message "The system could not log you on . Make sure your user name and domain are correct, then type your password again" I can say OK to this, click on my name, and it boots up. AN annoyance, but I can live with it.

Lately, it flashes in microseconds past this "the system could not log you on" screen and continues to the boot up screen "Windows is starting up" It hangs on this screen. I have to reboot and hope I get the "system could not log.." screen to stay so I can OK it.

I am the only user of this machine. I really want to to autologon right to desktop.

I already tried Run:Control userpasswords2, and turned off "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"

and I tried TweakUI Logon AutoLogon "Logon automatically at system startup"

No help there. ANy advise?

rettigdpm said:
On boot up,(Win XP Home, SP2) I get the message "The system could not log you on . Make sure your user name and domain are correct, then type your password again" I can say OK to this, click on my name, and it boots up. AN annoyance, but I can live with it.

Lately, it flashes in microseconds past this "the system could not log you on" screen and continues to the boot up screen "Windows is starting up" It hangs on this screen. I have to reboot and hope I get the "system could not log.." screen to stay so I can OK it.

I am the only user of this machine. I really want to to autologon right to desktop.

I already tried Run:Control userpasswords2, and turned off "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"

and I tried TweakUI Logon AutoLogon "Logon automatically at system startup"

No help there. ANy advise?
The settings about the users are hidden in the registry.Propably somehow these settings were corrupted and you cannot log in normally. I guess you dont log-in as administrator but as a user having adniministrative rights.SO do the following:
1) Run regedit
2) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList
3). See if your name/account exists or not. Also create a new value giving the name Administrator. Double click on it and give the value 1.Backup all files and links from your account elsewhere (documents, favorites, links on programs/desktop)
4) Reboot and enter as a administrator (not your name) and delete yourself.Now create a new you and move all the things you back up to your new self.
This trick must do.Try it and tell me about it. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back