The System could not log you on.....

napalmnthemorning

OSNN Senior Addict
I installed SP2 today and did some cleaning, tweaking, defraging, and all that stuff. I disabled some services in admininstrative tools and now I'm getting this message that pops up on my sign in screen after rebooting.
" The System could not log you on. Make sure your user name and domain are correct, then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case." Not sure how to get rid of this.

Its with the welcome sceen which is behind the popup warning sign. I able to log on after I click off the warning sign. The welcome screen says Admininistrator and I'm using a different name "DANIEL" but it keeps showing up as administrator. I was wondering if there was some editing I could do in Computer Management>System Tools>Local Users and Groups>Users that will point the log on screen to show my name and not administrator. ? Not sure.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

Create a new Dword entry and label it administrator. Set the value to 0
If there is one labelled Daniel delete it and it should show the user daniel and hide administrator.

I went to Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList and didn't see any administrator, login information. I did create a DWORD and labeled it administrator with a 0 value, there was no daniel DWORD in this file, No luck however...

I looked in the Winlogon file and saw a couple DWORD's that looked like winners.
AltDefaultUserName REG_SZ daniel
AutoAdminLogon REG_SZ 1

Would this be where I want to delete the daniel string and change the value of AutoAdminLogon to 0 ?

That did it rushm001. I deleted the daniel string and changed the value of AutoAdminLogon to 0 in Winlogon. I restarted and it went to the boot screen, then the welcome screen and right to the desktop. Great Job! thanks for your help.

Since were on the subject ? I'm wondering if there is a registry edit to go right from the boot screen, bypassing the welcome screen and going right to the desktop? I'll start a new topic and leave this one alone. Thanks again rushm001 :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back