The Sims Hot Date AND WINXP

I

image2

This is a new thread made for Hot Date. The latest expansion has problems with XP. Mine shows splash screen, then nothing. There is no hard disk OR CDROM activity. Also, in the system monitor, the game process never shows up, and under programs (system monitor), it never shows up as well. I have a dual boot so I can play on 98 for now, but I like XP better. I will be trying some application compatiblity tools later today (at work now) and will post the results later. If you read this and your copy works... please post your system and possible what drivers you are running (via 4in1, detenator 2x.xx, ect.) I know there are others who want to play.

My System

AthlonXP 1600 (using Windows update patch for amd prosesor)
Biostar M7VIB (VIA KT266 chipset)
Using the onboard sound :eek:
512 MB DDR-RAM
Inido GeForce2 Ti 64MB w/tv out
Maxtor 40GB ATA100
Lite-on CDRW 24*10*40
I will post the versions of my drivers when I get home and before I start playing with the MS compatibility tools. BTW, the installed program compatibility tool does NOT work. I tried every setting.

MAXIS

Is Hot Date compatible with Windows XP?

At this time Hot Date is not compatible with Windows XP and we have no plans that this time to make a patch for this.

This is Maxis' answer to XP. So any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: MAXIS

Originally posted by image2

This is Maxis' answer to XP. So any help is greatly appreciated.

Dont support EA by buying its games. Then maybe they'll get the message :D

Seriously, I'm curious why Hot Dates wont work. I have the other 3 Sims games and add-ons, and they work fine. Do you have any Sims games that do work on your comp?

Maybe I'll take my own advice and not get Hot Dates, even though my kids are begging me for it....

Yeah, All of the previous versions work. I do have a log file of the exact areas in which Hot Date crashes. One is in the registry and the other is the temp directory. Maybe I can fake it out using MS compatibility tools... disableing some of the compat. layers and other XP options. The reg. crashes come when it access' the XP skins area, like the new button looks and the new scroll bars, ect. If you want to take a look at it, I have the links for the MS tools and the log file. I will be toying with it tonight... As for your kids, dual boot is how it works for me!
:)

... As for your kids, dual boot is how it works for me!

Nope, that wont fly with me :D .

I wont ever let Win9x touch my machine again. If the program wont run, its not worth a hoot in the first place IMHO.

These games usually wont run due to sloppy programming practices. That usually makes them inherently unstable no matter what OS it runs on. That means it doesnt touch my computer.

W2K/XP have the HAL buffer for a reason. It offers better protection, so that programs cant go haywire on your hardware. And the HAL and DirectX/OpenGL work better than in W2K, so that speeds are comparable to Win9x, *IF* the game is properly coded, and not designed by retarded monkeys

Thats my $.02

Good points! Here is a letter to EA support... Somehow I think they will delete this one though... ;)

Using a Inno GeForce2 Ti graphic card, onboard (AC 97') sound (on Biostar K7VIB [VIA KT266]), 512MB DDR-RAM. Now, I know I can run it dual boot in Win98. AND I KNOW YOU DON'T SUPPORT WINXP AND/OR WINNT, BUT! What will you guys do when everyone has XP and your games don't work for the 100% of people who have XP or NT? Or how about when Microsoft discontinues support for the FAT32 kernel? Are you EVER going to make a patch, or can I expect full support with the next addon. So far I LOVE Maxis, but not supporting NT is not cool. All computers made are now shipped with XP. Just looking for your guys imput. There are even people who are now avoiding/thinking of avoiding your products because of this... Does that not bother you? The Sims, Livin' Large, AND House Party ALL work under XP or NT... why now does Hot Date not work? I ran the MS compatibility tools and found that Hot Date was accessing the registry wrong and the temp directory was accessed wrong also. Is this a new type of disk protection? If it is, wrong way to implement that. Try going here, http://www.xp-erience.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1372 , or here, http://www.xp-erience.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=320 . There are people who want to play your great games, but we can't. Any suggestions off the record on which way to look? Do I need a nocd crack to play my STORE BOUGHT COPY? Oh yes, and if you are about to reply with, "We cannot support games that are not supported." Think again, because I WILL post a stupid response in the forums so EA Tech support can be laughed at, please, only respond with a semi-intellegent answer.

Kyle N. K***ber***
1*** South C**** Ave.
Marshfield WI, 54449
(715) 4**-****
image2@*****.com
kyle.kronberger@*******.net

Hot Date works here..............

I am using AMD 900, 256 Ram, GeForce 2MX (21.81 drivers) SBLive with unsigned Creative XP drivers. Other stuff but shouldn't affect how it runs.

James, is that XP home or XP prof? Also, what motherboard are you running? Is that a VIA chipset? IF so, what 4in1 driver version are you running? Any extra info will help me find the problem that plauges most users.

wow! just for a giggle I thought Id try to install this.
What I did was do one game at a time with a reboot each time.
I did the original game, reboot, living large, reboot, house party, reboot and then did hot date and then rebooted.. and wow! it works!

did nothing special other than reboot after each install.

thought Id share this.

XP Pro (upgrade). I am using an Epox 8KTA3 with Via KT133a chipset. I do not use the VIA 4in1 drivers (never like 'em). I am just using whatever drivers Windows installed to my system.

My video is an MSI GeForce 2MX 32 Meg Starforce (817 I think) running NVidia reference drivers 21.81 I believe.

Sound runs through a Soundblaster Live! value with the drivers Creative supplies for XP (unsigned last I checked).

I have 256 Meg PC133 a Fujitsu 10Gig C: and a Maxtor 13Gig D:. My primary CD is a 52x from Afrey and the writer is a HP 8150i.

Can't think why else this would matter but I have an MS Intellimouse explorer (optical), Logitech Force 3D stick, an Ortek internet pro keyboard and a Samtron 428PL 14" monitor. 2 printers- Epson Stylus 777 on USB and a Canon BJC250 on parallel.

Hope this all helps somehowas my wife really seems to like this game (I just can't see the point... I Prefer Civ3, Empire Earth and shooters or flight sims...)

Cheers, James

Ok, sorry for the off time... Did some more checking, and the exe still is accessing reg wrong. Only when it tries to read from a specific user (when more than on installed). For those of you that this works for, do you have more than one user on XP? I have 2, myself and my girlfriend (2 profiles). I am thinking that this may be part of the problem. The exe does not know how to read multiple registries and temp dirs. In NT I beleive every user has their own reg and temp dir... If I'm wrong correct me, or post if it works and you have multiple profiles. I have uploaded the log of Hot Date crashing on my system. It is notepad format...

have been giving this some thought and I think youre absolutely right.
It gets confused so it doesnt know which to access so it just crashes. I only have myself on this XP machine and it works fine.

Perhaps thats why Porsche and Hot Date both work?????

Hot Date works here and Multiusers

I have windows XP Home edition, with 4 users and Hot Date runs fine on my system. My system comprises of:

Asus A7V266 Motherboard
Asus 8200 Geforce 3
640 DDR 2100
Atlon XP 1800
30 GB Seagate ATA 100
Sony CDRW
Asus I panel

Drivers:

Detonator 23.11 Reference Nvidia
Via 4 in 1 version 4.37a
AMD patch for windows 2000

The system runs really sweet and hote date rocks

Regards

:rolleyes:

Ah HA

Ok, Looks like the best I can get is, log into WinXP under the Administrator account. Then Hot Date runs fine. Users who have Administrative rights can't play Hot Date under theirs (at least on my machine). Only way I got it to work is under the Administrative account. Hit CTRL, ALT, DELETE twice at the logon screen. Then user Administrator and whatever your pass was set up as. I am running WinXP prof. In home edition I think you have to boot into safe mode for admin... but, under safe mode I don't think the game will run. All I can say is it works for me. I will see if I can nail down the reason other users can't run Hot Date...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back